Vacuum problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum problem

When i take turns or use my breaks in my 87 crown vic EFI my check engine light comes on, im thinking it may be a vacuum leak, any ideas?

do you hear any hissing when you apply the brakes with the engine running? does the car run poorly? many conditions can cause the check engine light to come on.........more details would be helpful
    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It makes a hissing sound when i am on the brakes in drive, it seems to run fine, the check engine just flashes when i turn or use the breaks.

Comment

Could be a leaky power booster.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

man when my booster bit the dust it went all at once...any brakes and the car would stall.

I put it in the sop and they went through hundreds of dollars of their own money in parts before they figured out they got 4 bad boosters in a row to replace my known bad one, and 3 bad master cylinders in a row to replace my good master cylinder.

In the process of figuring out they had several bad boosters i got free rear wheel cylinders, free rear brake pads, about 8 gallons of brake fluid, and eventually a function booster/master cylinder.

Those things suck

mechanic said because many of the parts for older cars sit on shelves in warehouses for years...the rubber inside breaks down and eventually the replacement fails when installed.

Goodluck bud...check the parking brake release vacuum connector under the dash...that will hiss too but you can just plug it up to prevent it.
          i\'m back bitches!

Comment

Working...
          X