Loss of power to trans, wiring harness problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of power to trans, wiring harness problem

The '03 Ultimate I sold my nephew is having a problem with the transmission, long story short, he wrecked it, then he ran it out of oil after a botched change (filter gasket leak etc). It was a little noisy because of timing chain guides or whatever, and finally it started getting 'laundromat dryer with a box of bullets' noisy, and the motor was swapped with an '04 motor. A week after the successful motor swap, the transmission stopped shifting. I don't know how much he's been driving it in the MONTH since that happened, but FINALLY it got into the transmission shop, and they have NO POWER to the trans. Shop owner messed around with it for about an hour, and figured out it has power to a point (blows the transmission fuse every time now) but doesn't want to tear through the entire harness.

I'm thinking it would it be a good idea to just run a new power wire from the fuse panel to where the trans wants juice, think that's safe? It would at least let us try to drive it and see if he's destroyed the transmission completely. This car has been J-modded, but the 1-2 accumulator spring was left in it. Another thing, during the motor swap, the mechanic changed the front trans pump seal, since it was accessible with the motor out. Probably doesn't have anything to do with the problem, since it seems to be electrical.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Here's a video of driving it to get the engine swapped. http://youtube.com/watch?v=2D-1Rs5-gXQ
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Check for a trouble code you might need to go through the herness and replace the.hernes My mom's car had a rodent eat through her wire herness and I got a solid "check engine" light took her car to dealer and they fixed her car including doing a front end inspection got that fixed bad bushings caused weird steering now good.

Comment

Unplug the trans harness at the main engine harness and see if it stops blowing the fuse. If it does, the problem is in the trans harness or the trans itself. If that clears the fuse problem, plug the harness in but unplug it from the trans. If the problem stops, its internal. If not, its in the harness. If the trans harness is dicked, find a used one or tear into the existing one and fix it. Its not all that big, and opening it for inspection is just a utility knife and a bunch of tape to unwind. I would not just supply power without knowing why the fuse is blowing. Pretty sure its also key-on power through the PCM relay. If you just run power to the trans without fixing the problem its still going to blow the fuse.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry I never updated this, the Oxygen Sensor harness was grounding out through the transmission wiring or something. I dunno, it got fixed up for like $350, and in the process I found a new shop that doesn't mind troubleshooting electrical stuff and isn't bad on price.

Comment

Bonus!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

LoL if you were in New York I'd say you visited South Main Auto, that guy is a wizard with electrical diagnosis.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Very nice. The shop that does all my work is namely an auto-electric shop, but they do everything so i'm extremely lucky to know them. That, and my buddy works there so it's a win-win.

Comment

The other shop that normally did my electrical troubleshooting was backed up since May, so he recommended this other place that he trusted.

Comment

Electrical troubleshooting is easy. Basically it always comes down to disconnecting things until it stops fucking up, then move in the direction that reduces the number of things disconnected until you find the single part that isn't working.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's time consuming though. That's the real issue most of the time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X