Identifying sec. gen. Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying sec. gen. Grand Marquis

Hope that I found the right place for my topic... I would need you experience and opinion about this...

I found a bad advertised GM on a vending platform, the owner not even know the right name of his car.
    I've no experience with those aero bodies, for me does it look like a good equipped early Grand Marquis with a bad clearcoate. Can you see more, maybe which year, does it have a passenger airbag, digital dash?
    He wrote that the car has 154kw so does it have the handling package?

Here are the pictures from the advertisment:

It's advertised with 156000km for around 1200$ (it's located in europe) what do you think?

Thanks,

Gerald
    1988 Lincoln Town Car
    1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

The air-suspension needs work. Looks like the bags and/or compressor have failed. If you buy the car, you could do a coil-spring conversion.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Looks like a 92-94. Does appear to have buttons for the digital dash. Not much help otherwise.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        Looks like a 92-94. Does appear to have buttons for the digital dash. Not much help otherwise.
        This. 1992-1994 Grand Marquis LS. Looks to be nicely equipped too. Black interior is quire rare. I only seen a handful.

Comment

Does it have dual exhaust? Appears to have HPP wheels which may or may not mean anything. If you can go look at it look at the door tag and see what axle code it has too.

Comment

Looks like a good deal, but be prepared to put a lot into it for it to be considered roadworthy. I know from experience that most European vehicle inspections are no joke.
            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
              This. 1992-1994 Grand Marquis LS. Looks to be nicely equipped too. Black interior is quire rare. I only seen a handful.
              Yeah silver over black was not at all common in the early 90s...today every other car is that combo.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Thanks for your replys...

I've received some more pictures and Tiggie you are right it has the digital dashboard
                Does the SRS logo on the passenger side mean that the car is with an passenger side Airbag equipped?

I'm trying to get a picture from the doortag or the VIN.

The seller mentioned there is some work on the underbody necessary because of rust, but the car is in running conditions.

I think I've to take a look on this car...
                1988 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

That has a passenger air bag.

Transmission shift indicator shows manual overdrive lockout, so that’s an AOD car, so it’s an early ‘92. Just like the ‘87-‘91 302 cars, the early 4.6 AOD cars have the TV bushing that should be inspected and replaced with a brass one if it has a nylon one (assuming it’s not missing).

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

That’s pretty much hard loaded. Only thing I see missing is Instaclear.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                      That has a passenger air bag.

Transmission shift indicator shows manual overdrive lockout, so that’s an AOD car, so it’s an early ‘92. Just like the ‘87-‘91 302 cars, the early 4.6 AOD cars have the TV bushing that should be inspected and replaced with a brass one if it has a nylon one (assuming it’s not missing).
                      I was thinking the same when I saw that shift indicator. Early '92 with the AOD transmission.

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                      That’s pretty much hard loaded. Only thing I see missing is Instaclear.
                      Instaclear was an option on Aeros?
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

@Kodachrome Wolf perfect news thanks... AOD trasmission same I got in my Town Car, is it something bad in a aero? Yeah I know that bushing I also replaced it in my Town Car.

I don't really need a new project car because my garage is full of work, but I'm getting more sharp on this Grand Marquis project.
                        I also found a 1992 bruchure on the web with the optional list...

@VicCrownVic yes there was this instaclear option avaliable take a look:

1988 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Neat, I didn't know that option was still available on the Aeros.
                          I saw a 1990 Colony Park that had Instaclear windshield in a local junk yard last summer. It still had the original windshield in good shape, but only a couple weeks after I saw it, that car was gone/crushed.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I did not know you could get JBL with those and that one has it. Jeez, all of this JBL stuff I've most certainly missed at the junkyards around here. I feel like such a putz. Oh, if you do buy that, do not do a coil spring conversion. At least here in the states the air bags are cheap and those aeros have a proper set up unlike the box era. I love air ride.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The only "bad" thing about the AOD equipped early Aero is that it uses a unique bell housing and block combination. It is a Modular engine (duh, its a 4.6) but it does not have the Modular engine bell housing pattern on the block, instead it has the old Small Block Ford bell housing so that it could use the old AOD designed for the SBF. This engine is known as the "bastard block". This would only be an issue if you ever had to replace the engine as it was only used in this configuration for 1991 Town Cars and early build 1992 model year Panthers (built before February 1992 if I remember correctly) so it isn't exactly easy to find one anymore. The AOD its self isn't really a problem if maintained, its the same one used in a Box era car.
                              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Working...
                              X