Coilover vs standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coilover vs standard

What are the advantages/disadvantages to each type?
    Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Are you planning on running coilover shocks together with the stock/replacement springs? If yes make sure you lower the rate of the main coils, or your rear end might end up higher than you want it as the coilover shocks will be giving it an extra boost up, just like air ones do. From what I know coilovers are used for the aforementioned reason, or most often where you can't put a separate spring (dune jumper and baja cars for example). For a Lincoln I'd go for air shocks as you can adjust the boost they give you, KYB makes some good ones for like $50 a piece (so that's a $100 set). I personally went with Gabriel Hi-Jackers as my car already had the stiffest cargo coils available for a Panther and nice shocks like the KYBs wouldn't make much of a difference to the truck-like ride.

Comment

Coil-over shocks give you much more adjustibility. You can raise or lower the car with a spanner wrench. there is a wide variety of standard springs for coil over applications, less weight, more efficent design. down side is cost, also it can require fabrication to mount the upper shock mounts since they use an eye and not a stud.

For the fronts i think you can use a coil-over shock/spring assembly for a 67-81 Camaro.

As for the rear, you would have to add a crossmember above where the shocks will mount. (might be able to get away with just mounting them to the big ass top plate-crossmember that is already there. you will need new lower shock mounts welded to the axle housings.

If you have a welder or have acess to one those are not big problems, several places sell the shock mounts you need and they cost between $5 and $20 depending on style
      Coil over shocks run about $175 and up each depending on features and brand. the springs are about $50, the spring plates for the shocks are about $40 each. thats about $600 each.

Summit sells a QA1 coil-over kit for around $450 you just need to find out what size shock and what rate spring you need. This kit includes a bar to weld to the frame for the upper mount, lower brackets, nuts and bolts, springs, shocks.
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Working...
      X