What shocks to get....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What shocks to get....

I'm going to make the plunge Monday and get a set installed. It's probably been 10 years since they were replaced and the handling of the car is piss-poor at best. What would be the best options readily available? I've also read that single tube is more durable than dual tube.

I'm looking for a happy medium between performance and ride.

Price is an issue but not (if that makes sense).

Thanks in advance!
    Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

KYB GR-2, I put them on mine and its sooooo much better than before.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I have KYB fronts and am happy with them. Fairly inexpensive too. The Ford PI shocks also have a good reputation as an inexpensive and decent shock.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I'm gonna go with the KYB GR-2s. Looking like a pretty decent solution. Guess I'll be able to take the spring spacers out of the front now.

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

According to Advance's catalog, there exist rear KYB GR2 with air assist, about $50 each - if you plan on keeping the air ride, you may be happy with these.

Comment

Actually, I don't have air ride. I think that came out in '90. I would consider some air shocks for the back, though. But, don't these lose air over time?

1989 LTC

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

I'd save up about $300 for either the Bilstein HD (#1495 for the front, #1496 for the rear) or the Edelbrock (EDL 33222 front, EDL 34222 rear) shocks. Don't forget to replace the coil springs too.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
              5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by N A
                I'd save up about $300 for either the Bilstein HD (#1495 for the front, #1496 for the rear) or the Edelbrock (EDL 33222 front, EDL 34222 rear) shocks. Don't forget to replace the coil springs too.
                If you are going to go with a stiff shock save your self $100 and buy a set of Carerras.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by Roach III
                  Actually, I don't have air ride. I think that came out in '90. I would consider some air shocks for the back, though. But, don't these lose air over time?
                  Yeah, that's what I mean by air ride, the air-pressurized shocks are just our version of it. Dunno if they leak air, my system is automatic so it just takes care of itself whenever it needs to.

Comment

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with air shocks on the rear just for height control. What about the front? I can't buy new springs right now. I can buy spring spacers all day long, though.

ETA: 8:00 A.M.!

1989 LTC

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

Originally posted by Roach III
                      Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with air shocks on the rear just for height control. What about the front? I can't buy new springs right now. I can buy spring spacers all day long, though.

ETA: 8:00 A.M.!
                      what kinda spring you looking for? somehting stock, little firmer, lots firmer, rock hard?
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I'm guessing stock would do the trick. Maybe a little firmer.

1989 LTC

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

Decided to go with the Monroe mono tube on the front and Monroe air shocks on the back. I have an appointment in the morning. Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm still open to suggestions regarding springs, though.

1989 LTC

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

Working...
                          X