Performance Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Brakes

With the late model panthers weighing in at over 2 tons, I found both the '00 GM HPP I used to own and my '03 MM lacking in the braking department. I felt they relied too much on the 4-wheel disc anti-lock system to stop the car in a hurry and needed some good old fashion muscle instead.

The MM is the first car I've owned that I felt was worth putting some money into to make it more like I wanted it to be. There's currently 3 readily available brake upgrades for the MM - Baer, KVR and Wilwood.

I went with the Wilwood 13" front "Street Sport" kit with slotted rotors from www.TCEperformanceproducts.com mainly because no one else was offering a 6-pot caliper. It only requires a 1/16" spacer to make some clearance between the wheel and caliper.

I've had the Wilwoods on for about 6 months now and am very satisfied with the greatly improved braking power. You really have to be on it for the anti-locks to kick in and I've yet to experience any brake fade. There's no noticable difference during normal driving. So far I've gone through about a 1/16" of pad, so I'm hoping to get at least 2 years out of a set. Changing the pads is a snap since they drop in from the back. The rears are still stock and I'll probably leave it that way.

Links to some pics:
    View of caliper pistons with pad removed
    View of caliper from rear with stainless steel line
    View with wheel on

Has anyone else done or planning a brake upgrade? From what I've heard even a pad / rotor upgrade can have some improvements over stock.
    Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

This comes as no surprise to me. Wilwood makes some of the best brakes in the business........I'd have to sell my house to afford them (or at least refinance) but man are they the hot setup......
      Congratulations, I'm sure you'll get many years of fine service from them.
      1993 GM LS 244K
      29.5mm PI front bar, ENS greaseable bushings, 21mm rear bar, ENS bushings, endlinks. Black steelies, center caps. Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure guage. K&N filter

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII 144K
      All airbags are now coils/struts. Junk tranny, motor donor car

Mercury Owners Group

If you don\'t like what I have to type, don\'t read it. It is only my opinion, nothing more.

Comment

Hmmm. The Mark could use a better set of brakes. Supposedly, rotor warping occurs with the stock setup. I'll be planning a brake upgrade this spring when money is better. How much did you spend?

Comment

im wanting to go with 6-pot wilwoods with a 13" rotor on my 85
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
            im wanting to go with 6-pot wilwoods with a 13" rotor on my 85
            i'm gonna probably go with that on the 90 too. (the one i'm throwing a 429 into)
            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by evillally
              Hmmm. The Mark could use a better set of brakes. Supposedly, rotor warping occurs with the stock setup. I'll be planning a brake upgrade this spring when money is better. How much did you spend?
              $1334 with gas slotted rotors, front kit only. Prices on TCE's website so no sense in beating around that bush. They've proven to be an excellent investement on several occasions.

I'm looking seriously at also upgrading the rear calipers / rotors come this summer to finish out the look and pick up what's left lacking in the rear. Have to get into the rear-end to shim out the axle endplay so its not going to be as easy as the front upgrade was.

Comment

$1334 for brakes!? I hope that includes booze and whores!

Comment

Thats not too bad, considering the price of BAER BRAKES!!
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by evillally
                    $1334 for brakes!? I hope that includes booze and whores!
                    No, but I got some caliper paint for you... I you're looking for the budget alternative.

Comment

Working...
                    X