battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery question

i have a battery on trickl charge and it chaged up to 13.7volts, so i took it off charge and hooked the volt meter up to it ans a 12volt light at 2 0'clock and at 5-530 it droped to 12.7volts and the light dident dim. now it is 9 15 and its still at 12.7volts and the light is still bright, is this a good batt?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

that only means the battery has good amp hours. it doesent really say good or bad because your not testing cold cranking amps (CCA) . and cca is what you need to know to determine weather a battery is good or bad

Comment

true, i was thinking about that
      i need a freakin batt tester, lol

Comment

One little light should last for about a day. A quick battery check is worth it, these batteries are not deep cycle so they don't like bring drained all the way down and refilled. I chould get a deep cyce battery with all the radio jamming that I do.

Comment

i have a couple deep cycles out of a boat but they are old and shit and heavy, marine cranking what!?!

Comment

to see how strong it is, get it to full charge and install it. Hook up a volt meter and watch it while you crank the enging over - it shouldnt go under 10 volts or so.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

when in doubt, go to vatozone and have it load tested!

Marine cranking batteries are not deep cycle. They have the same charge/discharge characteristics as a standard battery. They're heavier because the plates are thicker to take more abuse from wave impact. Usually the "house" or cabin battery is a deep cycle tho. Lower cranking amps, but higher amp-hour ratings.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

indeed...well i droped the batt into the lincoln and everything seems to be in order

Comment

Working...
                X