Should I swap in a 460EFI???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I swap in a 460EFI???

Friday I'm going to go look at 91 F250 supercab 4x4 truck to replace my current rotted out one. If I get the other truck I'm going to strip out the one I've got.

The truck I've got is a 1989 F250 4x4 with a 460 EFI/ 5spd with 4.10 gears. The motor runs liked a raped ape! It has no problem just burning the big 16's that are on the truck. It burns some oil when you get on it hard so I'm going to check the compression and do a leak down test. And most likely will rebuild it if I use it.

What do you guys think, should I swap the 460 EFI engine into my 2dr? I know the extra weight will hurt the handling a little. But I don't have any plans to autoX it. Or should I sell the 460 and sink the cash into more performance parts for my 351W? I know I can make as much if not more power with my 351 and save a bunch of weight but the 460 is a absolute torque monster!! And the way the stock 460 moves my 6000 Lb truck I'd love to see what it could do with some performance mods in my 3500 Lb 2dr.

Drop it, and the 5 speed in your car.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

YES!!! HELL YES!!!! 460 EFI would kick some serious ass! All you would need is a better cam and you will be amazed at the power output!

Comment

A better can and set of heads, that is...

If you pulled into a place to get that thing computer tuned, they would prob shit themselves!!

Comment

The problem with using my 5spd trans is I'd also have to use the transfercase. I suppose I could try and trade or sell the trans and transfercase. And get a 2wd 5spd truck trans.

I just think a 460/5spd 2dr LTD would be the SHIT!!

Comment

yes.

yes it would be lol

Comment

A cam swap is will definately happen. I would probably run the stock heads but I'd port and polish them.

And as far as the computer goes I'd go with an SDS tuneable EFI system. http://www.sdsefi.com It's a very easy system to install and tune so I could do it all myself. Plus then if I ever decided to add a blower or a couple turbo's I could retune it myself too!

I figure if I swap cams, get some roller rockers, port the heads and intake, add a larger throttle body, bump the compression up a bit and make some headers for it I should be able to get some good power out of it.

Comment

460 + mark III cam + 375hp.
                1991 GM GS sedan "Love Boat" HO converted, Holley adjustable fpr, 3.27 Trac-lok - RIP
                1991 Colony Park LS "Wally World Express" HO, 3.27 trac-lok - RIP
                1988 grand marquis ls "grey ghoul" - RIP 1992 gm ls "superbeater"- sold 1993 F350 dually 7.3 IDI crew cab flatbed "killer" - RIP
                1994.5 F350 Dually Crew Cab Flatbed, Powerstroke 7.3 "overkill" - Alive and kicking
                1987 Lincoln Town Car "El Presidente" - Resting for winter, gonna be a beast!
                2008 Mustang, no name - belongs to the wifey

Comment

Originally posted by Fordman75
                  The problem with using my 5spd trans is I'd also have to use the transfercase. I suppose I could try and trade or sell the trans and transfercase. And get a 2wd 5spd truck trans.

Get an explorer front axle setup and make it AWD....That SOB woould launch incredibly!
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd

Get an explorer front axle setup and make it AWD....That SOB woould launch incredibly!
                    How feasable is that? It sounds like it could work in theory.
                    Nick
                    88 Colony Park LS
                    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon
                      Originally posted by mrltd

How feasable is that? It sounds like it could work in theory.
                      No clue. But in theory it's badass.

Comment

Hell yea mang...handling and straight line performance
                        Nick
                        88 Colony Park LS
                        G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                        Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

That rear end hit exploder would have the needed parts-if it's AWD

Comment

The explorer diff would never handle the torque the 460 will put out.

My 5spd only has 10,000 miles on the rebuild so I may just get the 2wd out put shaft and housing and tear it down and change it over. That would be a pain but a good Bigblock 2wd ZF 5spd is going to cost me $800-$1000.

I've decided the swap is a go! Now I just need some warm weather to start working!!

Comment

The explorer diff would never handle the torque the 460 will put out.

My 5spd only has 10,000 miles on the rebuild so I may just get the 2wd out put shaft and housing and tear it down and change it over. That would be a pain but a good Bigblock 2wd ZF 5spd is going to cost me $800-$1000
                              It wouldn't see all of the torque. It would see half. It'd probably be fine. In fact it'd help out the rear diff!

Comment

Working...
                              X