HID lighting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HID lighting?

Dear Gurus, Thanks for your helpful answers.
    Low beams on my 89 colony park aren't bright enough for high speed all night driving. I've installed and aimed new 4656 halogen sealed beam lamps already - still not bright enough. Sylvania made a xenon 4656 kit but they don't any more and there's none in stock or on ebay - maybe they weren't any good, maybe there wasn't enough demand. Dunno. Anyway, I seem to have two possible solutions: 1. Get a set of round xenon lights (& ballast etc) from a wrecked BMW and have custom body work done or add xenon drving lights - easier less expensive but dunno if they'll light up the road that much.
    Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
    Donald McCaig

Many of these guys are looking at the H1/H4 conversion....

Which uses a composite housing with some sort of bulb...

Theres been many recent posts about it, take a look around. Cogs has also done his low beams, and they are bright as hell!

Good luck and thanks!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

hmmmm

maybe if you can't see well enough to drive at night your headlights aren't the problem....

SuperFord Profile
      Support safe sigs

-sigs should not exceed 600 pixels wide
      -sigs should not consist of more that 25 lines (including pics) when viewed at 800x600
      -Multiple images exceeding 600 pixels wide should have a space between them to allow for wrapping
      -Total sig size should not exceed 60k
      Remember, only you can prevent sig abuse....

Comment

Caprice headlight swap!

Comment

Well, are you willing to spend a ton of money on it? If you are there are some very expensive lights that are really good. But all lights Ive seen seem to light up enough for me to see the road. Only reason I did the conversion was for the clean look it gave the front of the car.

Comment

i have ge superblue's on my low beams.............they are nice and bright i have no problem seeing at night
            scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I want those damn H4 conversions to start coming out in plastic. Not glass that leaks and metal that rusts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ifixyawata
                I want those damn H4 conversions to start coming out in plastic. Not glass that leaks and metal that rusts.
                don't get cheap shitty ones, mine look like new even after years of use and getting hit by anouther car

SuperFord Profile
                Support safe sigs

-sigs should not consist of more that 25 lines (including pics) when viewed at 800x600
                -Multiple images exceeding 600 pixels wide should have a space between them to allow for wrapping

Comment

Guess tha's what I get for buying mine used.

Comment

Mine have a glass lens that shouldnt leak and a plastic back. I'm putting an extra bead of silicone around the edge though, just to be safe.

Comment

Dear Gurus, Mr. Cogs wrote:"Well, are you willing to spend a ton of money on it? If you are there are some very expensive lights that are really good. But all lights Ive seen seem to light up enough for me to see the road. Only reason I did the conversion was for the clean look it gave the front of the car."

Last Fall at four in the am I was driving a West Virginia 2 lane having started in South Dakota the morning before. It was raining. There were coal trucks. Yeah, I'd spend a ton of money for better low beam lighting. My (brand new) stock Colony Park low beams are too dim and because they're relatively low, they're inferior in rain road bounce or fog. If you don't believe me rent any new car with halogen or xenon lighting and compare. I am uninterested in the cosmetics - just want to see better. Most of the H-1 - H4 conversions I've seen seem to be cosmetic - unless a glass housing and metal reflector actually do improve lighting. The conversions that sound like they'll actually improve lighting don't seem to be DOT approved (http://www.rallylights.com/hella/165mm_lo.asp).
                      So is the average cop going to pop me for these lights? Will they help me see the road better? Any thoughts appreciated. Donald McCaig

Comment

No, cops wouldnt bust you, to my knowlage.

BTW, this "Mr. Cogs" You speak of, he must be a newbie...
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

The other advantage to the H4 conversions is that it allotts you many more choices is headlamps. Also, if you wish, you can get much higher wattage light bulbs than you can using the stock headlights, however this would require using relays on the headlights so as not to risk a fire.

Comment

i think i'm gonna save up for the e-code cibies. i spent all day yesterday while it was raining at www.danielsternlighting.com, and it seems the e-codes are the way to go.

Grimor, do you have any night pics with the lights on? i'm still planning on getting em eventually but i just wanna see what they look like head on
                            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

hmmm

I don't have any head on, I have some crappy ones in my car at night with a camera phone.

wait I found one..

SuperFord Profile
                              Support safe sigs

Comment

Working...
                              X