4wd Panther

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4wd Panther

everytime someone converts a car to 4wed they pretty much throw the body on a truck frame. why does not anyone just attach the shackles for the leaf springs onto the frame of a panther? then you would just have to have brackets welded onto the axlehousings of your choice. (Dana 60 rear and Dana 44 front) then get the trans and transfer case out of a truck, and have some drive shafts made.

For steering you could blend the factory panther steering system with the one out of a truck.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Well, if you wanna try it...you can with my '88. I've been wanting to throw it on a 4x4 frame and jack it up...
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I like MrLTD's idea better of using an Explorer front axle and a transfer case off of a truck.
      Nick
      88 Colony Park LS
      G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Theres is no good way to do it duce. A truck frame is fairly straight. A panther frame isnt. Ive looked at it 1000's of times. No good way to do with out a massive lift and a solid axle. Exploder parts wont work. The front differential needs to go where the engine crossmember is. So it has to sit below that. As far as the body on a truck frame, youd have to cut parts of the car frame and leave it attached. No way in hell your not gonna bend lifting the body alone.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I'd just cut the front frame out of the explorer and join it to the panther. Doubt that it would sit very low though. Not enough to make it look stock.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Ford 8.8 up front...fabricate everything else
            Nick
            88 Colony Park LS
            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon
              Ford 8.8 up front...fabricate everything else
              you would have to get a 4wd 8.8 i think that is the explorer axle, i think the trucks got dana axels.

Comment

You could do that but yall aint understanding what Im saying. The axle needs to go where the engine crossmember is.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride
                  You could do that but yall aint understanding what Im saying. The axle needs to go where the engine crossmember is.
                  yea, but if you are making a 4wd panther why would you have it sit low? id have it jacked up sitting on some 38-40s

Comment

If your gonna jack it up you want and axle out of like a late 70's f150. Move the coil buckets to where you need em and make radius arm brackets on the frame. Easiest way possible. Told ya Ive been thnking for a while
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

What about the front part of the frame of an early '90s F150? It sits quite low for a truck, doesn't have a live (solid) axle and it's still a 4x4. Ford still uses that setup for the E250, E350, and E450 vans (dunno about E150), only the control arms are solid cast iron instead of hollow with shafts inside.

Comment

TTB is too much work. You have to have a place to attach the end of the beam to. Ford uses the engine crossmember. It would be so much work its not even funny. Just go with th 70's f150 axle, like I said. And they used the early 90's parts from 80-96.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

swap out the engine crossmember area and diff from a awd aerostar

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Youd shatter the diff. Its a dana 30 at best which is barely adequate for the jeeps they come in. Need dana 44 strength. If your gonna put big tires on it ifs dont survive nearly as good as solid axle. IFS I would run a 35" tire MAX.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride
                              Youd shatter the diff. Its a dana 30 at best which is barely adequate for the jeeps they come in. Need dana 44 strength. If your gonna put big tires on it ifs dont survive nearly as good as solid axle. IFS I would run a 35" tire MAX.
                              my 5.0 volvo has a 4.10 dana 30........car has 230,000 mi on it.......was converted to 5.0 at 160,000

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X