Winter Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Tires

This will be the first winter with my '91 GM. I just put a new set of all season Kumho tires on. I didn't want to spend the money on snow's.
    I know the car weighs a lot but will it be necessary to put some sand bag weight in the trunk to get through the snow? Any comments?
    1991 Grey Grand Marquis LS Sedan
    61,000 Miles
    1998 F150 XLT 4X2 Flareside Fire Engine Red
    52,000 Miles
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hdlogistics

I'm fine without any sand bags or anything in the trunk (I don't have room in my trunk), but I'm probably not the best example because there's a couple hundred pounds of weight in the trunk from an audio system. I'm sure more people will chime in and give their 2 cents, but I think most people are just fine with good tires and good driving ability.

-Jeff-
    My CarDomain Page
    2002 P74
    Arizona Beige
    20% Tints All Around
    Tinted Tailights
    Clear Corners
    Sound System
    Leather Interior

Comment

get chains
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

ah, chains are illegal in this province! :bs:

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

The snow isn't that bad in this area to use chains. I now have to drive quite a distance to work every day and want to be prepared. I may put some weight in truck just in case. I was wondering if anyone else has had to do it as well.
          1991 Grey Grand Marquis LS Sedan
          61,000 Miles
          1998 F150 XLT 4X2 Flareside Fire Engine Red
          52,000 Miles
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/hdlogistics

Comment

i always use studded snow tires in the winter on a full size car

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

i have never had to put weight in the trunk for a good ol canadian winter, the onlything i have is tools!

Comment

I dread driving the town car this winter.

A: because its my towncar and
                B: the last time I drove it in the winter it didn't have a shift kit.

Even when its a little wet on the roads if I'm turning while it shifts into second it will get a little sideways, (and no I'm not beating on it)
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

i got a set of snowtires today for a customers 85 grand marquis........they are called winterforce.......they got like 15/32 of tread expect to pay 60-80 a tire for em though
                  scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

i know that people are going wit the winter nortic tires from canadiantire cuz the cheap and reliable

Comment

Working...
                    X