IT'S FUCKING MISSING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT'S FUCKING MISSING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok this is the 3rd time in a little over a year I have owned this car. I washed my car today. I went to start it up and drive it after I got done. I did not wash the engine or even get it wet!!! I started it up, it idled smooth like usual and then I go and give it gas and it crackles. It stumbles and sounds like a fire cracker under light throttle and mashed to the floor. Mid range is fine. I just don't get it. I have replaced the plugs twice. I replaced the originals with bosch +2's (Never again) and I washed the engine a couple of months later and missed again. So I replaced the bosches with autolite platnums. It was fine untill today. I drove it before I washed it today. It ran perfect. I just don't get it. PLEASE HELP. It won't throw a code so I don't know which cylinder it is missing. I'm sooooo mad that I think I want to sell it and get a box cause these 4.6's seem like nothing but trouble. I have read the sticky here about the compression tester. I will do it if I comes down to that but it really seems like a spark problem.
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Ok never mind this. I let it sit for awhile and it dried. It is fine. Drock said that the seal on the cowl can leak. I bet any money that was it.

Comment

I was going to suggest pulling the COP unit and blowing out the plug wells with compressed air. Try putting some dilectric grease on the end of the COP unit to help seal out moisture.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I second that!
        Do it with a 5spd!

Comment

Sounds like your Vic throughs a fit when it has to take a bath lol

Comment

Ya. I think I will put all new boots on it and the Dielectric grease on it for safe measure. I love my car but sometimes I get so mad at it I would sell it.

Comment

Also check the coils for cracks on the epoxy tops. My sisters V10 had one crack and it did a very similar thing....
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88
                Ya. I think I will put all new boots on it and the Dielectric grease on it for safe measure. I love my car but sometimes I get so mad at it I would sell it.

I've posted this a few times now so..
                I fixed my problem by replacing the COP boots. However I found rust forming on the terminals that the springs attach to inside the COP itself. I had to clean them off with a very small file, and use PLENTY of dielectric grease (Permatex has a great one, the Autozone pouch stuff is teh sux) I had to do this twice, I needed grease on both sides of the spring, Just greasing the plug side alone did not do the job, the contatct between the spring and coil was the problem all along, the old COP boots all looked fine. The trick with the grease is to get the ridge about 1" below the top of the COP boot, the area above does not really seal against the head. Grease around the end of the boot where it goes over the tip of the plug, and grease the COP harness plug. One of the small permatex tubes is plenty for all 8 COP's This is the same stuff I used

I got my COP boots from NAPA, the Echlin brand, 7.99 ea with the spring.

I had bought one COP from Auto Zone and tried it on two cyls, this did not really help out. Of some note, the NAPA COP boot looks better than the boot on the Auto Zone COP

Also the ground connection between the plugs and head is important, I had corrosion on the nickel plated plugs after only 4K miles when I first bought my 01. Pull the plugs and check the threads and re-install. Like mentioned above, perhaps a new set of plugs is worth the trouble. Wouldn't you feel stupid if you paid the dealer $200 and they changed the plugs and it ran like a champ?? Plugs can short out etc

I cleaned the springs on inside the COPs. Noticed some improvement but it was still there. I did notice however a small little connector inside the springs at the base of the COP. Almost all of these connections had alot of corrosion on them. Is this the thing that would cause the bad connection? Tomorrow i plan to get a really small file to file some of the corrosion off. Will this damage the peice? Any extra imput would be great.
                That is exactly the problem I had. The connector tab is part of the COP, the spring actually comes off it, but you have to twist carefully to avoid stretching the spring out. I fully removed the springs, cut down an "ignition file" and got in there and cleaned up the coil tab. A fair amount of residue came off a few of them. I blew out the cavity with the electrical contact cleaner (the stuff I used to clean the MAF) Then I put Dielectric grease inside the spring, and slipped it back on the terminal using lots of twisting to get good contact between the spring and terminal. Then re-install the boot etc...

Like I had mentioned NAPA sells the rubber boot and new spring for $7.99, you can also just get the rubber boots for 5.99 or so.

From this thread

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post1006211

I had Misfire for some time, and NEVER had any codes appear. After cleaning the terminals on the COP's and replacing the boots and springs and using the dielectric grease,my misfire is gone now, I felt a little come back after we had 11 days straight of rain.
                2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

re you by chance missing the rubber cowl seal between the hood and the edge of the cowl?

Comment

On my sisters V10, one of the coil on plug packs was cracked and caused an intermittent miss on damp days. I'd check them all for that, mainly the rear ones. It was the one on the rear pass side on the truck.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                    X