power window on its way out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power window on its way out?

My passenger side power window likes to work when it feels like it. Some days it will roll up or down fine, other days it seems like it gets stuck up. Is it on its way out or can I spray some wd 40 on the bushings to maybe prolong its life? Also, if I need a new motor, is the motor for the 2 door the same as the 4 door one?
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

what i learned on alot of fords over the time. ill get a window once and a while that will get stuck down and not try to move, hold the switch up and kick the bottom of the panel and it will get moving again. dunno what causes it but its happened to me on tc's/cv's/ grand marquis/ t-birds
    1999 CVPI
    Old Rides
    1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

I've done that before (hitting the door) and its worked before. Its starting to work less and less though, so its probably going to break completely soon.
      Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
      2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

the reason that trick works is becuase when the brushes wear out they get too small to sit right in thier track and make a poor connection to the motor. Jarring them can make them get a connection again - this is simmilar to why a bad starter will fire sometimes if you tap it with a hammer.
        The brushes rest inside of spring loaded slides, and when they wear down they get cockeyd and will evetually fall out of place.
        If you are junkyard savvy, you can pull the back off the window motors (this part holds the brushes) without pulling the whole motor. Then with some more savvy you can put the whole thing onto your motors case. I usually find decent brushes in the rear door motors.

heres a window motor write up I did, for some inspiration

http://grandmarq.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1667
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Sometimes you'll luck out and find the brushes aren't worn out, but the commutator is dirty but usually thats not the case on the driver's side motor. Time for a bit of cobbling for a low budget motor rebuild.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

is that what the magneto gyro thing is called? lol. Yeah, those were really dirty in the ones I took apart so far.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Got the window to work again today, I didn't take the panel off all the way mainly because I couldn't get it off. The previous owner either replaced the motor or tried to get it to work again because the door panel isn't attached at the top. I couldn't get it to clip back on the top either. :cuss: Its working again now but it seems like it doesn't work when it is cold out?

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Probably the grease is stiff. You're gonna need to get the panel off, spray everything down with WD-40 or some other form of cheap penetrating oil to get the old goop out of the tracks. Once its reasonably clear of old grease, get some white lithium grease and load it up. The white grease doesn't get stiff in the cold. You'll also want to lube up the big gear the motor engages with as well as it's pivot point.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks, you were right, the grease was stiff and original too. I "lubed" it up and sprayed alot of wd40, and it seems to be working alot better now.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Only thing that sucks about pulling the door panels off is if the board the clips go into breaks.
                    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

And the clips disintegrate. I buy boxes of them every time I plan on removing a door panel and just change all of them I can. If I don't have enough, I use the best old ones and spread them around. Works out OK.

Comment

Working...
                      X