2000 merc tuneup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 merc tuneup

my mechanic brother in law told me to check....does this car need a tune up?

00 Grand Marq
    49,800 miles
    4.6 (obviously)
    single exhaust

kinda running rough, but no feeling like a "miss"
    2000 MGM LS

Air filter and seafoam, that would about cover it. Too low of miles to need a full tune up. Do you ever open it up for a while?
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

yeah i open it up about once a month

seafoam where, in the crankcase or in the gas tank? i just put a new air filter in it
      2000 MGM LS

Comment

Originally posted by 00merc
        yeah i open it up about once a month

seafoam where, in the crankcase or in the gas tank? i just put a new air filter in it
        Considering the age, I would still give a full tune up which is not much on a COP 4.6 anyways

Before anything, do a Seafoam in teh PCV vacuum hose. Throttle it by hand to keep running till most of the can is sucked up then try to stall it out, if it does not stall then shut it off for 20 min or so to "soak"

Start it back up and you should see massive smoke coming out. Better off doing this at night this will scare the neighbors. You will need to drive it till the smoke is gone, floor it if possible to loosen carbon. Any left over put in the gas tank.

Next step is to clean out the throttle body with approved cleaner, there will be guck behind the throttle plate.

Then change the oil

After that, then change the plugs, PCV clean the COP terminals and re-assemble with dielectric grease on the springs where they attach to the coil, and the boots where they attach to the plugs. You already changed the air filter.

Clean out the MAF, you need the special tamper proof torx or hack the screws with a dremel. Use residue free electrical contact cleaner to clean off the MAF wire

Disconnect the battery for 10 min

REconnect and go!!!

Before next fill up add a big bottle of Techron etc as Seafoam does not clean the injectors or the top of the intake valves, just the combustion chambers.

Also of note the 2000 models have gay factory program and really take to the tweaked program X cal II etc.. The MM airbox is a great addition as well, and requires a program of course.
        2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
        2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Yup, suck it up through the pcv hose. Do these Coil on plug cars need more attention than us older coil pack folks, seems you guys run into more trouble with those damn COPs.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Fuel injector cleaner, or seafoam in tank.
            Plugs are fine, not needed
            check for any grease zerks on front suspension-steering if anything was ever replaced. Fuel filter, uh, Air filter. Check tire pressure,
            May be time for shocks if they are original. Clean the MAF sensor.
            Reset computer. Check you antifreeze if it is over two years old I would change it. When is the last time the transmission filter and fluid was changed? remember Mercon V (5)-PCV valve it is like $3, change it anyway.

I can turn a tune up into $100 without plugs.

Comment

If you do pull the plugs, I'd suggest blasting out the plug wells with compressed air prior to removing them to make sure no grit falls down in the cylinder. Pull a plug or so and look at it, then decide if they need to be replaced.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                If you do pull the plugs, I'd suggest blasting out the plug wells with compressed air prior to removing them to make sure no grit falls down in the cylinder. Pull a plug or so and look at it, then decide if they need to be replaced.
                I would hope not at 49k miles.

Comment

40,000 MILES

l Change engine oil and replace oil filter. (4)

l Change engine coolant initially at 48,000 miles (80,000 km) or 48 months. Thereafter, change engine coolant every 30,000 miles (50,000 km) or 36 months. (4)
                  I would also change the fuel filter, PCV valve, and if not recently done a transmission fluid flush & refill (with Mercon V) and filter change.

It wouldn't hurt to change the plugs, however if they are the factory installed plugs they are platinum, and are designed to last until ~100,000 miles.

I changed mine at 43k, however.

You said you recently changed the air-filter, so no worry about that.
                  Cleaning the MAF is very easy, as explained in the earlier post.
                  It is also a good idea, even if not changing the plugs, to disconnect each COP and liberally re-apply silicone di-electric grease on the boot, etc. to help prevent a moisture-related misfire.

While you are under there check the battry connections as well, clean as needed and apply di-electric grease as well.
                  -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                  My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                  Modifications
                  Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

AAAHHH!!

Not you.
                    -Michael

Comment

Originally posted by texasvic
                      AAAHHH!!

Not you.
                      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyiroc
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        I would hope not at 49k miles.
                        It costs a whopping $35 or so for a new set of plugs. Not sure if the 2000 came with platinums. The rough running may just be one crappy plug why risk chasing your tail for $35??

Forgot about the fuel filter, change that too.

COP can be a pain, I had rust form on the tabs that the spring slips on. I had to scrape them down, then put dielectric grease on the spring and on the tab, now it runs like buttah, used to get misfire and skipping especially when raining for days etc..
                        2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

personally, i believe in overkill when it comes to maintenance on my car. i have already done all of the above and then some.

i would also change the rear diff fluid.

2000 HPP Mods
                          15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
                          9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Originally posted by BigJon
                            personally, i believe in overkill when it comes to maintenance on my car. i have already done all of the above and then some.

i would also change the rear diff fluid.
                            Overkill is better than doing nothing at all, until it's too late.
                            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I will make an obvious point, if the car was running like a top then I would not swap out the plugs. Since it is running rough as reported, then changing the plugs is a good first start.

Comment

Working...
                              X