89 towncar replacing factory amp with a new one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 towncar replacing factory amp with a new one

On my 1989 towncar I have the stock amplified system with a kenwood CD deck and 6 kenwood speakers for all the stock places. I want to replace the stock amp with a 200watt one, is it easy or hard to do this??
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

The swap itself is very easy, now good luch finding a 200A alternator that fits your car. Of course you can always use a 5.0 Mustang one, but they are "only" 130A.

Comment

wait i have to get a new alternator??!!? but i thought all the power hookups were already done. By any chance do you know how much power the stock amp is? im expecting it to be like 24watts or something lol
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Ivan I think he's talking about the stereo amplifier, not the alternator. Amplifiers are rated in watts. alternators are rated in amps.

I'd not really advise swapping in a higher power amp into the stock wiring system. It hooks up a little wierd and uses high level inputs, which generally don't sound as good. The power wiring will also be insufficient. You'd be better off disconnecting all the stock speaker wiring and running all new wires from the speakers to your amp. For inputs to the amp you'd use RCA cables from the pre-amp outputs on the stereo. For a 200 you can easily get away with 8 ga wiring to the trunk for power.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

NONONO do not even think about putting an aftermarket amp in place of the factory one, lol.
          For one, the factory speaker wires arent designed to handle that much power.
          Two, sufficient power supply is NOT already there.
          Three, it would be a heinous wiring nightmare, if its even possible.

Aftermarket amps need aftermarket wiring.

An no, you wont need a new alternator for a 200 watt amp.
          My system is 500 watts RMS doing just fine with a 70 amp alternator, and help from a cap. (benefits of the cap are debatable)
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
            Ivan I think he's talking about the stereo amplifier, not the alternator. Amplifiers are rated in watts. alternators are rated in amps.
            Well, I guess there's a reason why some friends claim the natural color of my hair is actually blond As a matter of fact I noticed he's talking about watts, and wondered why the hell is that if the alternator's unit is amps. Never really paid attention to the fact what he wants is a new stereo amplifier, and not an alternator... but that's what you get with 16 hours of airplane-hopping followed by 10 hours of office work :drug:

Comment

oh i get it now. So how do I disconnect the factory amp completely and where is it located? I think I see it on the back of the passenger's side rear seat but im not sure if thats it or not.

Comment

thats it. there should be two plugs going into it, on each side
                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Working...
                X