Crazy "alignment" problem ... help!? [1995 GMQ]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy "alignment" problem ... help!? [1995 GMQ]

Our 95 GM is pulling to the left ... above about 55-60mph.

Now ... the story.

I started driving this car in August. It was in perfect alignment -- no drifts, no pulls, nothing.

It needed new tires we put Goodyear Tripletreds on it at the end of August. They have been properly inflated and rotated and balanced since.

By November it needed shocks and we had that done -- Edelbrock IAS. The car had a very slight left pull at the time. It wasn't enough to annoy even me (and that is saying something).

This pull was slowly getting worse and by the time I returned from my holiday trip (about 500 miles) it had gotten bad enough that it needed looking at, and the car would jerk to the right during a hard braking.

I had heard some loud popping noises and figured the ball joints were in need of replacing. Our dealer replaced the ball joints and an idler arm and did a front end alignment and told me it was good to go.

Not quite. The braking problem was gone but it was still pulling to the left. Brought it back in and they rotated the tires and one of the ... techs ... took it for a drive and pronounced it OK. Well, yeah, he probably didn't get past 45 in town when he drove it.

So, it is still pulling left, but only above about 60 or so. It does seem to be more susceptible to being moved about by wind than it used to. And maybe the pull is worse when the car is accelerating rather than coasting. The pull is worse at 75 than at 60.

I am a computer guy, not a car guy, and am at the limit of my knowledge here. If I turn loose of the wheel while on the interstate the car will pull itself into the median if I let it ... can anyone offer advice?

Any and all help is appreciated,
    Thank you,
    Jim
    2000 Grand Marquis
    1995 Grand Marquis
    1990 Lincoln Continental (50th Anniversary)
    1989 Buick Park Avenue
    1989 Grand Marquis

Dude, I am in the same boat, here. I too, am a computer guy. My shit pulls to the right like a mofo. I've had her aligned before and it ate the front driver's side tire away. I returned, and they realigned her. Still, she drifts to the right. WTF? I think I'm gonna get my favorite wooden stick out of the closet and go fuck someone in they neck. This is crap!

Any other advice? The FITN thing might bring legal repercussions. I would like to start small, and I'm sure our friend above would like the same.
    Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

Could be wheel bearings. Also could be a funky alignment or a bad steering component, drag link, idler arm, tie rods....
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

did they do a full caster/camber alignment or just a toe alignment? Also, if the control arm bushings are toast it makes it hard to properly align as the camber will float around as you drive. Worn steering parts will also do this, but any shop worth dealing with will check the suspension wear parts for damage before even attempting an alignment, if only to sell you more stuff. bad wheel bearing causing more drag on one side, sticky caliper, unequal tire pressure, uneven loading of the vehicle can also cause it to pull as can different amounts of wear or mixed tire brands causing slight differences in tire height side to side.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

and the car would jerk to the right during a hard braking.
          Lube your sliders on all of your calipers, one is more than likely sticking. I have encountered it on numerous cars. While its being checked out feel for play in the wheel bearings for good measure.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
          X