PI heads = Computer tune??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PI heads = Computer tune??

I was wondering. I just love the performance of my dads car cause his PI heads. I really am thinking of doing this. If I get the heads, cams, and intake what else is needed? Do you need a different tune for this? I have been looking at this stuff online but I never found out if the computer needed adjustment from the head swap.
    Thanks
    Zack
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Tune not necessary, but SCT tuner would be a way to make your car kick your dads right in the ass. It may be wise to get a newer EEC with the knock sensor if your engine doesnt have it now. This way the newer eec can pull even more timing just like your dads. Tell me more about your car...year, if you have pats or not, so on

Comment

It's my 2000 in the sig. I already have the Xcal 2 with MM airbox and MAF. It just doesn't have the pickup as my dads LSE does though. Something maybe screwed up as stock it ran a 17.1 ET. I haven't ran it since the mods though.

Comment

Im gonna leave my chip in the computer with my reinhart tune after I throw in the PI 4.6. Hope it works
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88
          It's my 2000 in the sig. I already have the Xcal 2 with MM airbox and MAF. It just doesn't have the pickup as my dads LSE does though. Something maybe screwed up as stock it ran a 17.1 ET. I haven't ran it since the mods though.
          jesus f christ yeah something is not right. Stock they run like 16-16.2...does your sct tune program have the correct tune for the mm maf fuel tables?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyiroc
            Originally posted by zwack88
            jesus f christ yeah something is not right. Stock they run like 16-16.2...does your sct tune program have the correct tune for the mm maf fuel tables?
            Does it feel faster, you need to run it and see what the time diff is.then see wtf you got going.

Comment

Ya It def. feels faster. My pop's car is still faster but oh well.

Comment

something is not right then... that sux!

2000 HPP Mods
                15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
                9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Hm yeah thats not right, My car with a screwed up trans, over-advanced timing and near overheating on a hot high humidity day ran a 17.1, and I'd never run a car at the track before. No error codes or anything right?
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ya no error codes or anything. That time was my first also. It runs smooth as silk. As it wraps up higher it doesn't make any torque. My old friends old 95 CVPI with 210K on it with a newer tranny ran a 16.8. It was really hot too like in excess of 90 degrees. My tranny always wrapped the engine up so high, I don't know. It is hard to describe without riding in it. Definitely not the same kind of shift stock vs stock compaired to my dads old 2000 GM with single exhaust and 2.73's. I plan on getting a tach pretty soon to see the shift point. It maybe to high stock and Lonnie bumped it up more with my Xcal 2 but it shifts way better.

Comment

If you have Xcal2 you can see what the redline is cause you can change it Also the shift time and firmness. Did you just buy one and instal it or was it programed by a vender before you installed it? fuck I forgot Xcal2 datalogs! You do that yet? Supossedly there is gonna be a update so you can datalog w/o a PC.

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
                      2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

installing PI heads on a NPI block will result in a higher compression ratio, thus resulting in even more horsepower than a full PI engine swap.

Also, with this combo, No2, Super or turbocharger systems should not be used w/o fordged internals
                        -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                        My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                        Modifications
                        Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Ya I bought it programed by Lonnie at blue oval chips. I do have the SCT software downloaded on my computer but I have never connected my X cal 2 up to the usb port. I will mess with it this afternoon. So Drock I don't plan on a supercharger or nitrous so the swap would be ok for the stock internals or not? I did not know about it boosting the compression on the npi blocks.

Comment

Stuck.... Programing X cal 2

Ok anyone have an idea what to do? I have never done this before. I have the software on my computer and the usb cable plugged into both the x cal 2 and my computer. It doesn't do anything. What do I do??????

Comment

Theres a SCT forum and faq somewhere listed on the MM site... I'll see if I can find it again.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...hlight=SCT+faq

Reason I asked is veneder knowing what you did could tune and send you an email to upload to Xcal2 and reflash the car with. I remember reinhart recomending sparkplugs for his tune. Did the guy/gal who did yours require the same?

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
                              2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

Working...
                              X