Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the deal with aftermarket steering wheels on airbag columns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the deal with aftermarket steering wheels on airbag columns?

Alright, I've heard several different opinions ranging from "It can't be done." to "My friend had an aftermarket wheel in his car and he had an airbag."

What is the deal here? So far all the OEM wheels I've looked at will not mate up because the splines are different. I want a Grant wheel, but according to their website, their is no installation kit for my car. So how would I mate it up to the column? I'm really baffled,lol and need a straight answer before I go postal and kill kittens.

Just kidding about that part.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

The problem for the most part is that it is illegal to remove the air bag. So unless your aftermarket wheel has an airbag, you "can't" use it. It is likelt they will bolt up fine on your Vic, but that there is no alocation for cruise or airbags.

Comment

I'm not worried about the cruise control, nor the airbag, as it's already unplugged. No mechanic I've ever been to has given two shits about the airbag or possible lack there of. It's my car and I'll do as I please whether it's against the law or not. If the feds want to dictate what I do, then they can buy me a brand new '06 LX Sport and I won't touch a thing on it, not even the stereo.

On that note, I think I'm going with this wheel.

And I'll get this horn button.

Comment

That button won't work with that wheel Im pretty sure. I used that wheel on the chevelle. That button is for the sig series wheels I believe.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Hmm, their website says for the Classic or Challenger wheels. I dunno.:no:

Comment

it could, I dont know for sure but that would be cool if it did work. I plan on using the horn button to run my set/accel button on my cruise since I have the fucking wierd column.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

What install kit would you use? I want a grant steering wheel too. I don't care if there is not a airbag a seat belt works fine. I have been looking too. If I can find a install kit that works I'm doing it too. I have no cruise and I will take the bulb out of the gauge cluster cause I know the airbag light will be on.
              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

I'm not sure on the install kit, that's my dilemma.

Comment

Say, have you looked into the mustang boards and asked this???
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yeah, never really got any responses. None worth noting anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X