Cruise Controll problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Controll problems

If i set the cruise controll it works fine untill i try to turn it off, i can hit the off button and hit the brakes all i want but it will only shut off for a second. A second later it will start to try to get up to speed again, only if i actually ride the brake untill i'm going under 35 or so will it shut off completely. Any ideas about what the problem could be?

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Mine sticks like that too, sometimes...in the '88.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Are your brake lights working? I had the same thing on my Townie and the fuse for the brake lights had popped. There is also a vacuum valve up under the dash mounted right where the brake pedal goes. If thats sticking, it might not be dumping the vacuum when you hit the brakes.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, i thought that the brake lights were working when it happened, but just today i noticed the brake lights werent working which is my next problem. Every time i add a new fuse (15a to spot #1) it will blow within the first few times i hit the brakes. So what could the problem be that is causing fuses to blow? Any ideas of what to look for to fix it, it isn't good do be driving around with no brake lights.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

Sounds like a short in the wiring or in one of the sockets. Inspect the wiring and sockets in the taillamps for anything funky looking.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

are your blinkers working ok?
            if the bulb sockets and wiring is ok, it could be a bad brake light switch, a loose or pinched wire for it, something like that.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I checked the bulbs for the tail lights today and everything was good, then i was testing some other stuff and after going through about 3 boxes of fuses i found that it would blow when i hit the brake and turned the left blinker on. So i opened the steering column to get the blinker switch out and there was a broken piece of metal inside the switch, which also is why the blinker wouldn't stay clicked down. It seemed to work correctly after that, but i wont know for sure untill i drive it around some more. I also installed my 100 watt police pa speaker today
              Last edited by FatNasty; 11-06-2009, 09:05 AM. Reason: pic url edit

Comment

FatNasty, you do realize that 100W funnel will flood with water when you drive in heavy rain, right? Won't it short or something?

Comment

I had it in my last car in the same spot behind the grill for about a year and a half and never had a problem, the funnel part goes to the back where there is a hole it can exit, the water would have to ziz zag forward then back into the cone in the middle to get into the speaker.

Comment

how much did you pay for that switch??? where'd you get it?
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

What switch?

Comment

Pete, don't forget that one you were lookin' at is for an '80. That means it has the horn feature, as well.
                        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Working...
                        X