Battery (red) light on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery (red) light on

The "red battery light" came on when I started the car up today. Before I spend money on an Optima (red top) battery, is it on it's way out or is it something else?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

Regulator might have went kaput, inside the alt. Might wanna check your charging system (or have it checked, I think autozone still does it for free).
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I have all the parts for the 3G swap. This is probably the best time to get this swap done.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Yep!
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

A 800 CCA battery enough?

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Should be. Stockers are like 600 or something fairly small. I'm more inclined to think charging system than battery tho, unless your battery is older anyway, then replace it and the alt and call it a day.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

700cca has been plenty for me. replace that alternator!
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

It started OK this morning then left me stranded at Home Depot. I got a jump and it started on the first crank. Replacing it with a 800 cca Optima at 9:00 when Pep Boy's or Autozone opens up.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

The light always came on in my 90 when plowing through deep water. Cable ends were junk. Id wiggle em a little and it would turn off.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I bought an Optima red top (800 cca). (The car wouldn't start in the Pep boys' lot. No one wanted to help me, so I had to rescue myself. I put the Optima on a floor mat, hooked up the cables and it started on the first crank). Changed the battery and the "light" is still on, I'm pissed. It's got to be the alternator.

I don't have all the parts for the 3G swap. I have the alt and a cable. I think I'm missing the big cable with the fuse. An idea where I can pick one up locally? (I got a date with the dyno at 3:30pm).

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

"Red battery light" issue solved. It was the alternator.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

How do all of your accesories work now??
                        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I've only driven it a little today and everything seems fine. I had a used 3G alternator put in. It whines a little when it's cold, (it was low 20's this morning). I had the window down a little, (I love the cold weather) and it sounded a little like a Vortech supercharger.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Alternator isn't supposed to make any funky noises, be it rattling, chattering, or blower ones. Once I actually took the fan off my waterpump just to silence the damn thing so that I can hear any suspicious noises, the only whining was coming from the Cougar idler pulley I run for the air-pump. The 3G alternator I was about to put in my Townie sounded weirdly when first tested at Murray's but its readings were just fine, so I took it apart and found out that the brushes were really worn out - a trip to the junkyard solved the problem, had the alternator tested as a Mustang one at AutoZone and as a Taurus unit at Murray's and it passed with flying colors both times.

Comment

my batt light is on and my batt, alt, and voltage reg are all brand new

Comment

Working...
                              X