{INTERIOR} Super Unknown - gauge installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{INTERIOR} Super Unknown - gauge installation

It is complete. What was supposed to be a fairly cheap project turned out to be a little more . . . not cheap. Note: Some of this might be repetitous of Pete's write-up (which helped me a lot . . . thanks man).

The hardest part of this whole project was getting through the firewall. I was unable to locate a grommet to go through. I needed at least a 3/4" hole to get the coolant temp sensor w/ mount through. Biggest bit I have is 1/2", so the rest was done with the Dremel. I put the hole above and to the right of the gas pedal cable. I used 18ga. wire for all of my gauges.

Two red wires are for the tach and oil sending unit. Silver line is for the temp.
    I also pulled the insulation off of the under-side of the hood. Looks much better now since the insulation was pretty chewed up.

Oil pressure sending unit. Talk about a tight squeeze. Used 2 1/2" extension, 1/4" NPT thread and 45 deg. elbow. It brought the sensor up just enough to squeeze it between the power steering pump and block. And, of course, I used teflon tape on the threads. The problem that I rant into with this was that the original sending unit for the idiot light required a special socket. Once I got the right socket it came out without any trouble.

Tach hookup. The fuse taps that I had originally bought that used two fuses were to tall and wouldn't clear the dash panel. I went with those small fuse taps that just plug in with the fuse. Tapped the fuse for the radio Key On power and the fuse for the dash lights. And, yes, the tach dims with the dash this way.

Coolant temp sensor. Just used a regular socket to get this one out and turned the new sensor in.

Gauges are mounted to the bottom of the ash tray. I am still able to open the ash tray, the gauges just move with it. I pulled the actual tray out since the screws needed the room. No worries, I don't smoke anyway.

The gauge styles are mis-matched, but that doesn't really bother me at this point. I started out with three gauges and the bracket as freebies. The temp gauge was the only one I used. Didn't like what I heard about the ammeter so I went with a volt meter. Didn't want a mechanical oil pressure gauge so I went with electric. The wires are a bit of a mess right behind the gauges, but you don't see them from the drivers' seat all that much.
    Power source for the oil pressure gauge and volt meter come from the yellow accessory line behind the radio.
    Note: My oil pressure holds between 25 at idle and 50 while on the gas. Temp holds around 180-200. Volts are where they belong. Pretty good for 170,000+ miles.

For gauge illumination, I tapped into the (+) and (-) of the ash tray light (per Pete's suggestion). This allowed the dimming of the guages. Only problem I ran into here is that the coolant temp gauge light does not work. Have not figured out why, yet.

Since I was running wire, I figured I might as well install that trunk light that I've been wanting for so long. Used 14ga. wire with an inline fuse. Power came straight from up front and grounded it on the trunk lid. No issues so far. This light is really bright. I plan to put one under the hood if I can find a decent place to mount it (running into clearance issues).

Here's how things tallied up. I'm not complaining about costs, I'm just stating it so the next guy doesn't have to spend so damn much like I did. Note: prices are rounded up to the nearest dollar.
    --Super Pro tach ($65)
    --Wire/connectors/trunk light/extra items ($48)
    --Brass fitting for oil pressure sending unit ($10)
    --Elec. oil pressure gauge w/ sending unit ($57)
    --Volt meter ($25)
    --Oil pressure sender (factory unit) socket ($10)
    --Craftsman Bolt-out 5-piece socket set ($20) --- This was to get the stripped manifold bolt out.

Rough estimate of cost: $235. Ouch. I just figured that . . . . . damn. That doesn't include fuel for five total trips to the store in two days, either.

Last edited by monterey1962; 10-05-2006, 07:32 PM.

Very nice how hard was the tach hookup, id like to do one up on my super unknown lol
    1999 CVPI
    Old Rides
    1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

Easy as can be. Tap the radio fuse for power. Tap the dash light fuse for light. Ground it to the panel under the dash. Run a wire and tap into the green wire off of the coil. Mount it where you please.

Comment

Good job mang!!!!!
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Thats 25 psi at wam idle? Heck my 15k mile motor does about the same as that, so you're in good shape. Looks good.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I gotta get a tack myself, but it's so damn hard to figure out where to put it in a Townie By the way yesterday I saw a boxie box Crown Vic that had the Plymouth/Dodge style tach installed on the hood, looked nice but kinda out of place...

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
              Thats 25 psi at wam idle?
              Yup.

Comment

Looks good :thumbsup: and doesnt it feel nice to know whats going on with your girl.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
                  doesnt it feel nice to know whats going on with your girl.
                  Definitely.

Comment

It's weird, my PSI warm is at around 45 PSI. Makes me question the gauge, or the sender. Not sure.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

good job man! its nice to know your vitals aint it
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

"It's weird, my PSI warm is at around 45 PSI. Makes me question the gauge, or the sender. Not sure."

Wasn't the engine rebuilt in GL, they could have put a high volume oil pump in it. General rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1,000rpm.
                        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Well, I'm still working out the bugs. I put some padding under the tach mount 'cause it was scratching the plastic. I wired in a new light socket for the temp gauge and, low and behold, I now have a lit temp gauge.

Oil pressure gauge is still not working properly. It was working great the first few weeks. My question is: What do I replace first, gauge or sender? I checked all the wiring and all is as it should be. This gauge came with the sender, so either way, I imagine I'll just end up replacing both. The problem with the oil pressure started when reinstalled the sender when I had the power steering pump out. I was careful to make sure that no teflon tape got into the piping.

Comment

ground the sender post on the gauge and see if it maxes out. if it does, the gauge is ok.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Well, I tested the gauge and it works. Gotta pull the sender. I'll let you guys know what I find.

Comment

Working...
                              X