Removed the vinyl top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removed the vinyl top

It was close to 50 degrees today so I went out to the storage unit and removed the vinyl top off the LTD. I found one fairly large rust hole and one pin hole rusted thru the roof.:pissed: I still need to pull the trim and remove all the fuzz and adhesive. Then I'll have to weld up all the holes. Hopefully I can get it done without warping the hell out of the roof.

What are ya doin' with the Landau lights from the C-pillar?
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I already promised the lights to a friend of mine.

Comment

Rust sucks ass
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Yep rust sucks!! I think I win the award for the rustiest box on this site!

Comment

Wow, lookin' like you are making progress!!!

What do you use to get the glue and fuzz off effectively?
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

It's not much progress but it's something.

For removing the adhesive I use lacquer thinner, a wax and grease remover and a DA sander.

Comment

You must be going through sanding disks like candy.

I cant wait to find all the surprises hidden under my vinyl roof!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I bought 2 100 count boxes of sanding discs just for the LTD. But I'm not going to start sanding until it's warm enough to paint. And right now it's only 34 degrees out.:pissed: I don't need anymore rust then I already have!! Once it warms up into the 60's I can start sanding, welding and painting.:welder:

Comment

WAIT!!!! this has lights on the outside of the C pillar??? I never seen those!!! Got any pics of them before the top removal??
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

This is the best pic I've got of the roof with the light.

The lights came on the LTD Landau's. I've got a 79 sales brochure with some good pics of the lights. I'll scan in the pics tomorrow.
                      Last edited by Fordman75; 01-31-2006, 11:44 PM.

Comment

You never saw the Landau lights, Pete?!
                        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Nope! never seen em till now...

Originally posted by Fordman75
                          I've got a 79 sales brochure with some good pics of the lights. I'll scan in the pics tomorrow.
                          My 79 LTD brochure actually came in the mail today But thanks for offering! and yes I think Id like some... but would they look good on a slick top? Im eventually going to remove my top.
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I had never seen those lights either. If I was to put lights on, Id do like a merc.
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

You planning to remove that metal strip where the front of the vinyl ended?
                              It looks like you're off to a good start. I use Kroil (very lightly) on adhesive. I had some gum/adhesive remover, but it sucked like you wouldn't believe.
                              2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                              1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                              1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Working...
                              X