Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing DRL (Daytime Running Lights) - 97 Merc GM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing DRL (Daytime Running Lights) - 97 Merc GM.

Good day everyone!

I have a question for you. I brought GM from the States to Canada, and Canadian Law requires for cars to have Daytime Running Lights (DRL). So, I went to the scrap yard and pulled DRL-module from 1996 Merc GM, however, it turned out that my car does not have a cable which would connect to the DRL-module in place (behind the grille, close to the hood-lock).

Can you please tell me is the cable usually in the place in US cars, or is it hidden somewhere with a factory installed cap at the end? Where is it usually? How to find it?

If the cars do not come with the cable, is it hard to make one myself and where do I connect it?

HELP! Need to pass Federal Inspection or destroy the car!

Thank you in advance,

Roman.

Hmm. I'd think you could come up with a bit of a homemade system to provide DRL functionality involving a couple of relays. Hopefully someone has a factory manual with the wiring diagrams for the system, then maybe you could use that schematic to tie in the DRL module into your car.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I installed a DRL module in my '93 Marquis and the connector was right where you said it was in the parts car.

AFAIK the wiring harness is the same for both Canadian and US models. So the connector should be in the approximately the same location as the parts car you pulled the module from. It will most likely be taped to the cross brace and it will have a factory installed "cap" to bypass the DRL. It may be completely covered by tape, so you might have to dig a little to find it.

Ray
      Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
      Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

did the drls have to be headlights? I remember some cars having just the park/corners on as drls.

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
        2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

Ford's DRL system runs the high-beams at about 50%. I konw General Motors has several models that use the parking lights/turn signals for DRLs.
          Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
          Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

I remember seeing the connector before on a couple, but had no idea wtf is was for, or had reason to ever investigate it until now. Isnt there a provision about where the vehicle originated from in the law? I remember seeing cheap aftermarket kits to give you DRLs. Used the low beams. All you need is a wire from your ignition, and a relay wired to the lamp wire.

Comment

Just put some black tape over the autolamp sensor on the dash. Boom - DRLs!
              Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX! ('83 Bronco w/'95 EEC-IV EFI 4.9L conversion)
              ------------------------------
              My '94 CV w/2000 engine/trans & '99 P71 EEC (OBD-II conversion)
              A '75 Bronco I built for a friend ('88 EEC-IV EFI 5.0L conversion)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve83
                Simple.

But damn, works!!
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Most used nightshades so it wouldn't look out of place

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
                  2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

Originally posted by Steve83
                    !What! black tape? I will try that tomorrow morning.

ATT, SNIPER 308.MANG FROM THE DARK SIDE.
                    MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

Working...
                    X