Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Copy) Installing Daytime Running Lights module! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Copy) Installing Daytime Running Lights module! HELP!

Good day everyone!

I have a question for you. I brought GM from the States to Canada, and Canadian Law requires for cars to have Daytime Running Lights (DRL). So, I went to the scrap yard and pulled DRL-module from 1996 Merc GM, however, it turned out that my car does not have a cable which would connect to the DRL-module in place (behind the grille, close to the hood-lock).

Can you please tell me is the cable usually in the place in US cars, or is it hidden somewhere with a factory installed cap at the end? Where is it usually? How to find it?

If the cars do not come with the cable, is it hard to make one myself and where do I connect it?

HELP! Need to pass Federal Inspection or destroy the car!

Roman.

hhmmm.... thats an interesting question.

Im pretty sure a box wont have any provisions at all for this, but it could be done with some aftermarket wiring. Could you use aftermarket foglights for daytime running lights? Thats essentially how mine are wired. Or you could wire your low beams so they are allways on when the car is on. Ill provide more detail if you like later - gotta run for now!
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I think the Canadian boxes had DRLs. At least the 90-91's did as there is a whole chapter dedicated to it in my repair book.
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Assuming the car has the 4-lamp headlights system here's an idea - replace the inboard lamps (the high-beam-only) with a pair of dual beams (high and low, just like the outboard lamps), then run power wires to their low-beam tabs so that they light up all the time. This way you retain your stock headlight operation, you solve the DRL problem, and on top of that you get the benefit of better visisbility due to the double power of the low beams.

Edit: Hold on, is that the car from this thread? Scratch all of the above in my post then, I still think it's a good idea, but it simply doesn't apply to you. Sorry man, do Pete's aftermarket driving lights trick.
        Last edited by ; 01-31-2006, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X