What to do with mimi-spare tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with mimi-spare tire?

My Mark VI does have mimi-spare tire in the trunk. I was thinking to replace crap mimi-spare tire to get original plain black rim full size spare tire from my Town Coupe's.

But, I have my 4 Lincoln's lacy rims at my friend's work. I have another option. Should I remove the original Michelin from the plain black rim and put it on lacy rim, then put it in the Mark VI's trunk? Or, just simple switch the plain black rim to Mark VI without having to remove it and put it on lacy rim?

Any idea?

Jason
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

I thought you had standard turbines on your car, not lace wheels? In any case, if the full size spare you have on the steel wheel is in good shape, I'd just use the steelie for the spare. If its an original Lincoln tire from 1980, even if the tread is good, I'd never remove it from the wheel and re-mount it. Actually I would probably not really want to use it at all being 26 years old.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
      I thought you had standard turbines on your car, not lace wheels?
      My Town Coupe's comes with original turbines rims and my Mark VI comes with original lacy rims.

Original plain black rim with Michlien tire was in excellent shape!

Jason

Comment

Buy a tire and wheel from a junkyard. I wouldn't use the original.
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by BoxMang
          Buy a tire and wheel from a junkyard. I wouldn't use the original.
          I understand what you mean, however, I have conversation with my friend from Cailforina and he quote from email about spare tire:

If the black rim in your Town Coupe' is in nice condition (not rusty), I would just switch the two spares, and let it go at that. Another thing: if your Mark came with the mini-spare, the red, carpeted tire cover isn't going to completely cover the full-sized spare. You'll be able to see a little of the tire peeking through, but only on the forward part of the rim, tucked under the deck overhang.

If you were to ever have your car judged, they'd check for something like that. They can be very sneaky, that way. Besides, you're never going to see the rim since it's covered in the trunk, anyway.

Jason

Comment

Yea, that's true about the cover. The mini-spare cover doesn't fit well on a full-size (makes sense right?). I'd just leave it, how often do ya get a flat?
            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by BoxMang
              Yea, that's true about the cover. The mini-spare cover doesn't fit well on a full-size (makes sense right?). I'd just leave it, how often do ya get a flat?
              Yeah that is true. Im going to the storage to see my Mark VI on this Sunday or next Sunday. Once I was in storage and open the trunk and take out one piece of spare cover from my Mark VI and try to put on full size spare tire to see how well fit in. Because sometimes spare cover have two options one for mimi spare and one for full size spare covers. I can remember correctly from my Mark VI's spare cover seem more bigger than mimi-spare tire size, but maybe Im worng. That is why im going to check it out.

Jason

Comment

26 year old tires scare me. A good friend now has damaged wheel well trim on his otherwise very nice 1976 Cartier because of an old tire that blew up on the highway.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My '89 Celebrity was running on the original rubber when I got ahold of it. :geek2:
                  Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

My car has the stock spare. I have had to use it before too.
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS
                    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I have a mini-full size spare. 215/70/14
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

you got a mini-spare and its a signature mark VI? i have the fullsize on a steelie on mine with an old school firestone on it.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

My car has a 215/15 as a spare, and the cover don't fit. Maybe it had a mini-spare???
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Most townies came with a mini spare, unless it was optioned with a full size or you have a tow package car. I have a full size spare with the proper tire cover to match. They aren't the most common thing, and along with the spare tire wingnut are among the hardest things to locate in the junkyard.

Comment

My wingnut is busted. Why did ford have to go and make the wingnuts plastic??? :nonono:
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X