Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shifter issues - '91 GM

--Park is fine.
    --To get reverse, you have to put it in nuetral, then back over to reverse.
    --OD is fine, but a bit loose.
    --Drive is fine, but it is also a bit loose.
    --First cannot be found. The shifter will not grab it.

Could this be a shifter cable issue? The trans works good and was recently serviced. All info is appreciated.

Originally posted by monterey1962
    --Park is fine.
    --To get reverse, you have to put it in nuetral, then back over to reverse.
    --OD is fine, but a bit loose.
    --Drive is fine, but it is also a bit loose.
    --First cannot be found. The shifter will not grab it.

Could this be a shifter cable issue? The trans works good and was recently serviced. All info is appreciated.
    With a coloum shift you dont have a cable, you will have a linkage made up of several rods. Id check the linkages and make sure none are sloppy.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

What kind of service was done? Might have messed up the linkage.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Just a flush and filter. The performance shop downtown (the one that did my gears in the '88) did it and even "checked" it when my mom had the car there. They said the cable must be stretched. I figured you guys might be able to shed some light on this.

Comment

there isn't a cable....It's all hard linkage.

Might be loose or bent. They have bshings in the linkage like the TV cable bushing that is notorious for failure... could be that. IIRC there are two of theose bushings on the linkage.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
            there isn't a cable....It's all hard linkage.

Might be loose or bent. They have bshings in the linkage like the TV cable bushing that is notorious for failure... could be that. IIRC there are two of theose bushings on the linkage.
            That's why I figured I should ask you guys. Do these rods run through the firewall somewhere? Are the bushings you speak of in the dash or elsewhere? Just trying to get an idea of how much I have to dig.

Comment

The bushings/links are under the car, drivers side of the trans. You might be able to get a peek of the linkage if you look under the brake master cylinder. The linkage comes off the steering shaft, goes to a bracket that bolts to the trans and frame and goes to the actual lever on the trans.

Comment

I'll second the suggestion of the toasted bushings in the shift linkage. You might also want to make sure the bolt on the linkage adjustment is tight. This is on the side of the lever sticking off the steering column under the brake booster. The two bushings should be under the car, one on the side of the transmission itself, one on the other end of the rod from the transmission to the bracket deal in front of it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes there are a few bushings in the path of the shift linkage. The shift lever rod comes through the firewall right next to the steering shaft. That bolt might have also come lose and is slipping just a little. But the bushings are a good starting guess. It shouldn't be a hard or expensive fix.

Comment

Crawled under the '91 tonight. It's a cable, not rods.

Comment

Did you find the other rods they were reffering to? Are you sure you're not looking at the tv cable?
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

It may be different, goddamn 91's...
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I started at the trans and worked up. There is a cable that runs off the bottom of the lever on the trans. It comes up and enters the firewall near the brake booster. I'll double check when I get the chance 'cause now I'm questioning myself.

Comment

Monterey, you should either have one cable and solid linkage, or two cables, too bad I can't crawl under the Townie to take pics of what to look for.

Comment

The cable you are looking at is the TV cable....above that is the shifter linkage..

Comment

Working...
                              X