Noise in the rear [1987 GMQ]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise in the rear [1987 GMQ]

I heard alot of noise sometimes when coming to a stop or when I hit a bump which sounds like a scraping metal sound in the rear. I replaced all of the brakes and the shocks in the front and the drum brakes in the rear. Is it probably the stock oil filled shocks leaking in the rear or is it something else? The ride height seems fine so I doubt its the coil springs.
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Could be the shocks rubbing on themselves..the metal dust cover. Could be control arm bushings, parking cables...I'd get someone to bounce the car and look under there to see if you can find the source. You could also just look under there and see if you see anything shiny or broken...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I checked it today and it sounds like the shocks were rubbing against the metal dust shield. I can bounce the rear of the car up and down when its parked and its usually quiet. I guess the bumpy PA roads are jarring the dust sheild out of place, which is why I hear the sound when coming to a stop sometimes. Also, are the air shocks tightly sealed or are you supposed to hear some air escaping when you bounce the rear of the car up and down?
      Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
      2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
      Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
      Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

I don't think air is supposed to be leaking out....
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
        X