Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swap

Will the 5.4 fit into a 94 LTC? Or am I stuck with a 5.0 stroker? Just thinking ahead a little. Looking at buying a nice 94.
    Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

You'd probably have to add a cowl to your hood. IIRC, the 5.4s have a taller upper intake than the 4.6 that would currently be in there. If you want to retain the stock appearance somewhat, I'd go with a 347. There's a guy on CVN who put a 289 into a 92 Crown Vic, so a 347 wouldn't be too hard to do.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

For the $15,000 that the 5.0L cammer costs you could swap in a blown lightning motor and still make it out cheaper.
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
        For the $15,000 that the 5.0L cammer costs you could swap in a blown lightning motor and still make it out cheaper.
        x2
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

I believe that DSS racing has a 5.0 stroker long block for like $5199.

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

I "think" the 5.4 will fit, but it's going to require modifications. The 5.4 is wider than the 4.6. Your going to have issues with the heater box on the passenger side of engine bay, and the brake booster on the driver's side. Then there's the wiper box that hangs thisclose to the rear of the motor. Also, as stated, the intake is considerably taller than the car model.

So it really depends on how much work your willing to do to make it work.

I say grab a Lightning motor! What's cooler then a blower sticking up through a hole in the hood?

Ray
            Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
            Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

Guess the 5.4 is out. Dunno if I'm buying the 94 now. Seems they want $6100 for it. the avg retail in the NADA is like $4425. I will look around some more. I really want a mod motor car to compliment my pushrod TC.

Your responses have been informative. Thankyou.

1989 LTC

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

too much for a 90's towncar.........now a 98 for that price would be a steal!......hizhonor bought his creampuff 92 tc for under 2 grand

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

lotta money for a 94. I've looked at a 99 for 6500 with 99K, and will be looking at a 98 with 17.5K for 7500...
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

There's a local lot with a white '92 TC that's asking $4995. It looks nice, but that price is NUTS for a '92. I might stop and look at it, just to see if it's a bastard block car...lol.

Hell, I'd sell my Marquis if someone offered me that much! LOL
                    Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
                    Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

lol $6100 for a 94, even $4400 is too high

keep looking, muuuuch bettter bargins out thar
                      2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                      2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Dude, build a 351W to 408 and add AFR heads with a good intake. You'll be happy squeezing big block power from that SBF and your wallet will be even happier... :evil:

Comment

Just the stroker kit and AFR heads will cost 2400. You'd want a good cam too. Then of course you'd have to put out some cash to find a serviceable 351. Not to mention that you'd need a transmission to run a 351 in a 94.

You'd be better off getting a PI 4.6 in good condition.
                          Last edited by BigTomZ; 02-08-2006, 06:02 AM.
                          2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

Personally if I wanted to make power, I'd get a nice PI 4.6 and go with a Kenne-Bell blower. Nothing like beating up on some big blocks, while still having a motor civilized enough for a daily driver.
                            2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

It's a toss-up. The 351-408 would be REALLY cool in that ride, but at the same time, it WOULD be a lot of converting taking place. Trust me- it's not fun swapping engine and transmission and wiring stuff all at the same time.
                              You're about breaking even, because the time you'd save going with a PI 4.6, you'd be spending on money. You have twice (or four times) the cams, depending on which motor, not to mention those parts simply aren't cheap. I'd say order a 5.0 stroker kit from DSS or the like and get the most out of a NA PI 4.6 within reason.
                              Or you could swap your heads and intakes. I believe the short blocks are the same between non-PI and PI motors. That'd be a lot easier than even pulling the 4.6 to replace it.
                              2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                              1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                              1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Working...
                              X