Tach problems!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach problems!!!

I was given a sunpro tach. I installed it tonight with my friend but it's not reading correctly. It's running like a 4cyl instead of an 8 cyl. Theres 4 wires on the tach, green,white,red and black. I don't know if we connected the wires correclty but everything is working in tach it's just indicating 4cyl rpm instead of 8cyl. Any one know what would be the problem.? And yes the tach is switched to 8cyl.

Pop the back open. Should be one screw holding the back on. There should be a small selector switch. It's probably set on 4cyl. Just flip it to 8cyl.

Comment

I did switch it to 8cyl still not showing correct rpm. I I checked if I put it to 4 to see if rpm would stay the same but it doesnt say same so tach switch working. But not showing 8cyl rpm.

Comment

Sorry, didn't read the first post well enough.

Wires should be:
        Green: tach -- to green wire off of coil
        White: illumination
        Red: Key on power
        Black: ground

Comment

ok green wire is connected to a blue and white wire off the coil.

and white and red or on the same wire. Only thing this does is the tach light is always on when I turn on the key.

Comment

If this is a 1992 Vic, don't you have a pair of coil packs? I don't think a tach would hook up the same way on one of those cars as the distributor-based engines.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't know much about cars still learning. I think it might be that 2 coils but I do I connect the tach to that?

Comment

You need a tach adapter. Roughly $50 for a cheap one on eBay.
                2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Yup, tach adapter, athough I hear some of the older 4.6's have a wire that might work.
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                  X