To hoodscoop or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To hoodscoop or not?

Call me crazy, but I wanna put a hoodscoop on GL. Something that is low profile, and would also be Oxford White like the rest of the car, and have something like "5.0L" or "5 Liter" or something like that on each side of it, with blue pinstriping on it or something. This hoodscoop would be funtional by the way, no glue on.

Also, I know it wouldn't match with the turbines, so I was was thinking of ditching them for something chrome. Maybe someone needs to punch me in the teeth.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

If you go with a scoop I'd suggest a factory scoop off a 79 Cobra/82 Mustang GT. It's a low profile scoop but it's wide enough to look good on a big car. Either that or a 69/70 Mach 1 style scoop. They both bolt on and can easily be made functional. Plus they both look cool.

Comment

GL, before drilling the hood I'd suggest finding yourself a nice white hood from a late '80s TC - they are aluminum so they won't develop rust around the scoop's bolts and they'll be much easier to cut through.

As for what scoop to get - how about something like this:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4612179161
      or this:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4611503097
      or this:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4611672090
      or this:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8035927263

All of those are bolt-on by the way, I don't consider the glue-on ones good enough for any Townie
      Last edited by ; 02-11-2006, 03:00 AM.

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking of, that way if I ever wanted to change back, I could just swap hoods! :p
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Maybe I could keep the turbines, but drop the whitewalls, although I like them. I don't know, this won't happen till much later.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

I stay away from the aftermarket bolt on scoops. The quality is usually poor and they just don't look good.

That's why I recommended a factory style scoop.
            Last edited by Fordman75; 02-11-2006, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Do what ya like, but I'd say no.
              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Which scoop did you pick? I used to own an '89 TC. If and it's a big if, if I did anything to the hood, it would be 2"-3" cowl induction scoop. Why mess with a great-looking frontend? If you want to change something, find an '89 grille and install it on your '85. I feel the '89s had the best grille.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

I have scooped a 4 door car. Just doesnt look good. I used a factory 83 mustang gt cowl induction bolt on one. Just leave the hood of GL unmolested.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

If you do a scoop, MOLD it in the hood. Like Justins TC. That is what I'm going to do when I repaint my car, I'm adding a little scoop and molding it in. I think seems look half done.
                    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Use a cowl induction scoop.

they follow the lines well.
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Ill post a pic of the scoop I used. Cowl induction turned around backwards.

1989 Grand Marquis LS
                        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Is that a Cadillac hood ornament?
                          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Yes, with a lugnut underneath it. Everyone thought it was a caddy so I put a hood ornament on it. I used to laugh all the time when someone would say "My dad had a cadilac EXACTLY like that one."
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

how about a shaker scoop?:devil2:
                              Nick
                              88 Colony Park LS
                              G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                              Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Working...
                              X