New front suspension on the '91--- [1991 LTD CV]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New front suspension on the '91--- [1991 LTD CV]

Well I finnally went and did it... got the front suspension on the 91 re-built today! A friend of mine owns a shop, he did it on his day off... he charged me $235.00 for the whole enchalada!!! (I bought the parts)

The lower "A" frame bushings were a bitch to get off.... they had a "Flare" on the backside from the factory... so we had to cut that off, before we could press the old bushing out... After we got the new one in, I asked him if he was going to "flare" the new one... he just looked at me like he wanted to smack me! Then I asked him if he was going to clean all the suspension parts and repaint them for me .... he had NO sense of humor!!!! He changed out the four ball joints, the lower "A" frame bushings... That was all that hadn't been replaced.... It rides soooo much better!!! Gotta take it to Ford on Monday and get the front end aligned... (His shop doesn't have an alignment rack) Ford here charges the excact same thing as all the other shops.... $39.99!!! plus they have a YEAR warranty.. everyone else is 6 months....

But the car really drives alot better.. and doesn't feel like the front end is about to fall out when you hit a bump....

Tom...

Oh, and NO PICTURES... Sorry! I forgot my camera at home....
    Last edited by trwp72; 02-11-2006, 08:29 PM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Ain't fresh frontend stuff nice?

Whars the pics???
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Good for you, but you know it is more fun to do it yourself.:evil:
      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Good for you, but you know it is more fun to do it yourself...
        Well, we both did it... but he did the majority of the cutting, etc.. due to the fact we were using his shop... his insurance wouldn't cover me if I got hurt....

Whars the pics???
        UH.....

Oh, and NO PICTURES... Sorry! I forgot my camera at home....
        Hey--- I got up at 07:00 AM to go down there to start on it... I am NOT a morning person! I remembered the camera after we got it on the lift, and the suspension apart... and NO stores nearby to go by a cheapy camera!!!

Believe me, I would have LOVED to have gotten pics of a suspension-less Crown Vic!!!!! Tom...
        Last edited by trwp72; 02-11-2006, 08:44 PM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Got the front end aligned yesterday... trying to get used to the "sporty" steering now!!! It handles soooo much better... Also had a thumping noise when I used to turn left... always thought it was the tire bumping the inned fender well... guess it was the loose bushings or lower ball joint! I had a friend of mine following me to a fire call with his 2006 Crown Vic Policecar... went thru an on ramp at about 70... (speed limit was marked at 35) he couldn't hang with me.. I was about a block ahead of him when we came out of the curve! And absolutely no tire squall or squeal..... It hangs tight!!! He was just a little pissed... Tom....

Comment

You have a police car with the good bars, thats why. Panthers handle really well if the suspension stuff is in good shape. New front end parts do wonders for getting rid of slop and wander on the roads.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If it made it that much better I may have to rebuild mine.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Yup, I guess new ball joints and bushings are gunna be added to the to-do list. If you don't mind me asking, about how much did the parts set you back?
                Nick
                88 Colony Park LS
                G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

mmmmmmmmm front end rebuild
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Gadget----Ah, the other car was a 2006 Crown Vic Police package also... That is why he was so mad!

88mercwagon---The parts were about $130.00 from Advanced.... Poly bushings, and upper and lower ball joints.... both sides....

Comment

There's just something about a box that the whales and aeros can't even match.
                      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Did your new poly bushings come with the sleeves then? Mine came without sleeves. Had to burn the old ones out and just push the new bushing into the old sleeve. Made for a pretty easy job. Pressing the bushings in and out is a pain in the ass. Did some of the control arm bushings in the back. Took something like 4 hours, and that was just for the 4 upper control arm bushings. The lowers still need to be done.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

We used a bushing press... sort of looks like a "C" clamp... or a pitman arm puller.... and the bushings came complete... press in and go!

Comment

Well, the next up grade is new springs... after seeing the difference in Nick's car... I want to get the ass end up in the air again.... only way it will sit level right now is if I take EVERYTHING out of the trunk... (All my rescue equipment-- Trauma bag with an oxygen cylinder) and my cameras.... About 35 lbs. all together.... so it needs the heavier springs bad! Tom!

Comment

Working...
                            X