Installing a Fan on my amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a Fan on my amp

Ok so I'm getting really sick of this. I have 2 8" MTX subs in my vic and a Alpine amp. I currently have the amp pretty much maxed out for output for my subs (bad I know). They sound really good on the inside and not noise on the outside. I have a problem when I have my sterio up loud for about 40 minutes the amp shuts down cause it is overheating. I'm glad it does shut down so I don't ruin anything but it is really annoying that I can't listen to my music for more then that turned up. So I want to install a fan like in the link below. My question is how would I wire it up to the amp?? I have a dremel so I can cut into the case to mount it there and draw in the cool air.

http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/c...ories/fans.htm

Any Suggestions?
    Zack
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Ziptie em to the case
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You're going to need to make a frame or something else to connect them to... just putting the amp on a piece of wood and using brackets to fasten down the fans will work.
      Just dont pay $50 for one from that link, when you can get PC case fans on ebay for a couple bucks.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Ok. I got that part then. Now how should I go about wiring it up to the amp??

Comment

Ok I looked them up on ebay. I will get them from there then. They have the plugs for the computers though. How will I wire that sucker up so the fan comes on when the amp is on??

Comment

Time for a relay!

You need to use the blue remote wire that turns on your amps to also turn on the fan.
            Since its not reccomended to actually power acessories with the remote line, Id run power from the amps to a relay, tap the remote line to turn on the relay and power the fans from it. Thats how I did mine...
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Ok sweetness. Thanks Pete I will have to order some fans now.

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88
                Ok sweetness. Thanks Pete I will have to order some fans now.
                Order some Vantec Tornadoes. They're loud as fuck, but they'll keep your amp nice and cool. I double stacked 2 of them on my old heatsink. I could actually hear the computer when I was outside if there was nothing going on in the driveway,lol! :geek2: My processor never went above 95 degrees no matter what I did with it though. I miss that computer.
                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Ok I will look for them, thanks for the tip mang. I guess I do have one more question, what amp of relay should I run?

Comment

Damn 4800 RPM for those tornados. I will definitely go with them. The ones on ebay were around 2700 RPM. Paul what did you pay for yours, they are going for around $15-17 on the net.
                    Last edited by zwack88; 02-12-2006, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X