brakes? safety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brakes? safety?

alrighty, this 2dr is two hours from my house. the auction says the car has no brakes. no big deal. i've been in contact with the seller and he says that the rear lines are gone(assuming rotted) and that one of the front rubber lines is gone. now if i were to replace that front one, could i drive it home pretty much using the front brakes? i know lots more wear on em, but i can't afford a tow either and the price on this car is good. according to my mechanic,(when he did the inspecion the first time)whoever owned Shifty before me must of have been driving for months like that. the brake line just above the frame rail had rotted to the point where you practically finger the the thing,lol. need opinions here. i have to work that day as well and it would be nice to drive through in the biggest coupe the parking lot has seen in awhile,lol. ii know its not entirely safe but if the car will stop with just the front lines being done, i'm buying that car.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

well it depends on how bad the lines are... if any of them are leaking, dont drive it. you'll run out of fluid and run off the road.
    if the steel is just rusted, and the front rubber lines just have surface cracks, you might get by since you dont brake much on the highway.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Ive done it before, thats the way my original GT was.

Living dangerously
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

plan b

the guy swears it is not driveable, so ...

we are goint to press into service on thurs the suburban, and borrow my friends brothers tow dolly or rent a u-haul car trailer to get this bad boy home. i'm so close and i'm not missing out goddamnit.
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Ok man.

But make sure u fix and drive this beast!

You wont wanna go back to a sedan afterwards!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

oh how true it is!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
            X