VSS on its way out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VSS on its way out?

I've noticed that when driving, occasionally the speedo won't move for a second and then it kicks in. Is this the VSS?
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Is it cold outside? The vic does that and its all mechanical. It just does it from a dead stop. I'll start to drive and then the needle will fling foward and start to work right.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

If you have cruise controle, next time it's notwoking, try and use your cruise. If it's VSS it will not work.

I had a VSS go bad on me as I was using cruise. Funny thing it is. See, the cruise module uses a voltage generated by the VSS sensor (which is essentialy a small generater). When they die the power output drops or goes completely away. Well, in the case of mine, as it was using it it slowely died. So the module interpreted this as the car slowing down, so cruise controle decided to take my Vic from 55mph to 100mph LOL Once it started going up it was a very open road so I said what the hell, let's see how fast my vic wants to go. I figure it gives me what I want all the time, why not return the favor?

Comment

Lol, my Merk did that once, but on a dirt road at 5am. Only difference being the car did not want to stop. Stepping on the brakes did nothing. The car kept accellerating. :geek2:

As far as testing the cruise, I can't. My Vic is cruiseless,lol. I just remember before I took it off the road, my '90 was having problems with the speedometer and it had been suggested that the VSS was at fault.
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Is a 91 an electronic or mechanical speedo?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

"It's electric! boogie woogie"

:lol:
            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Working...
            X