new wheel bearings rotors and brakes...... [1986 GMQ]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new wheel bearings rotors and brakes...... [1986 GMQ]

i just installed new wheel bearings, brake pads and rotors today, i have 2 questions,

1. i took the car for a little drive, stopped way better than before and the front end feels tighter cuz the wheel bearings were shot to shit, now when i came home my front brakes were smoking, is this normal?

2. i was a dumbass and jacked the driverside rear of the car up to cut down the studs a little to fit my spacers on, i had a jackstand underneath it as well as the jack but after i did the work and put the spacer on i was tightening the lugnuts and the car rolled forword and fell off the jackstand and jack itself..... luckily i had a piece of wood under the axel that the lower shock mount fell onto, the drum never hit the ground. is there anything i should check for damage? also the pumpkin never touched the ground either, i just thought of this too if i didn't install the stiffer springs the car body would have slammed the ground! i'm one lucky mofo!!

all i can say is from now on i'm gonna use the wheel stopper things shaped like a triangle to keep the car from rolling, lol

edit: added info, my last post on this thread

nick
    Last edited by Nick52284; 02-16-2006, 05:04 PM.

That isnt normal! Chances are, you have a caliper sticking!!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

when i have a wheel off the ground, i just snug the lug nuts up, once the weight is back on the wheel i will torque the lug nut down
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

That isnt normal! Chances are, you have a caliper sticking!!
        but it didn't do that before i put the new stuff in, and i even greased up the parts that slide? the brakes work very well, could it be anything else?

when i have a wheel off the ground, i just snug the lug nuts up, once the weight is back on the wheel i will torque the lug nut down
        i was tightening the wheel spacers, thats the only way i can do it i'm pretty sure! your method is also how i do when its just wheels.

Nick
        Last edited by Nick52284; 02-15-2006, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick52284
          but it didn't do that before i put the new stuff in, and i even greased up the parts that slide? the brakes work very well, could it be anything else?

i was tightening the wheel spacers, thats the only way i can do it i'm pretty sure! your method is also how i do when its just wheels.

Nick
          I did not relize that you had spacers. :drug:
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Did you clean the garbage off the rotors before installing them? They come with some sort of grease slathered on them. If you didn't, it might be that cooking off. Pull the wheels off and wipe the rotors down with some sort of solvent. Carb cleaner or brake cleaner or whatever is fine. Try and get the back side as well. See if you're getting a lot of heat off the brakes. If you are, then something is sticking.

I wouldn't worry about the car coming off the stand too much. Have a look under there to see if anything looks mashed but you're probably fine. I had a wheel go flying off and I actually drug the drum on the road and nothing was damaged. The drum has a nice flat spot on the outside of it now tho.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Did you clean the garbage off the rotors before installing them?
              yea i took carb cleaner to the rotors, i didn't do anything to the pads tho, i dunno if they had some oil on them i didn't check.

what could the caliper be sticking to if thats the problem? i did notice that when i put the caliper back on with the new pads it was a snug fit before i even bolted them down, could it be that since the rotor is new and the pads are new that its dragging a bit? i did push the caliper piston back in as far as it could go and it was still a snug fit, like i had to use a little force to spin the wheel when everything was bolted back up, but like i said it was a snug from the get go, i dunno i really hope i don't have to tear it down and get new calipers, the stuff i replaced was 200.00 so far, i'm runnin out of $! the caliper itself wasn't really hot when i checked it after driving, the rotor burned my hand, i only took it around the block.

nick

Comment

found the problem!

found the problem! i didn't seat teh outer brake pads right, i didn't take notice to the 2 stubs sitting on the backside of the pads that are supposed to seat into the caliper! all is well! i knew the calipers werent siezed! like i said i'm new to these cars, lol i'll learn!

nick

Comment

Good deal. Glad it was a cheap / free fix.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X