Changing Springs [1989 LTD CV]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Springs [1989 LTD CV]

ok i have a 89 CV and i was wondering what all is involved in changing the springs out in the front and the back. are there any special tools that i will need other than a spring compressor? as you can tell i havent change out the springs on the car before lol. thanks

The back is easy. Jack it up, set it on jack stands to start. Take off both rear wheels, it'll make things easier. Jack up the axle some, careful not to bend the diff cover...I use a block of wood inbetween. Unbolt the lower part of the shocks and slowly let the axle down. Now, either use the jack to lift either side of the axle to get each spring out or have a friend step down on either side. Atleast that's how I did mine, and they came out no problem.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Front springs involve seperating the spindle from the upper and lower ball joints, and you'll probably need a spring compressor to install them. I had to mash the hell out of mine to get them in. If you're going to pull the spring, might as well remove the control arms and do new bushings and upper/lower ball joints too, and/or a big brake swap. Removal goes something like this:
      Jack car up, and place on jackstands
      Remove wheel
      Remove brake caliper and hang it out of the way.
      Remove the shock, and the tie bar from the crossmember to the frame if you have them.
      Place a jack under the lower control arm, and jack it up till the arm starts to move upward just a bit.
      Pull cotter pins and castle nuts for upper and lower ball joints
      Using a calibrated BFH, beat on the side of the spindle where the upper ball joint goes through till it seperates.
      Same on the lower ball joint.
      SLOWLY lower the jack while standing at the front of the car JIC the spring goes flying. Once the jack is all the way down you'll probably need to push downward some more on the lower control arm, and the spring should fall right out.
      Install is pretty much reverse of removal, but you'll have to compress the spring to make it fit in there. New spring isolators front and back are a good idea.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i knew the back wasnt going to be much, but DANG that is alot for the front. so it looks like i could probably have it done with in a day. so how much is it for the new parts? well thanks for the info.

Comment

What kind of springs are you installing? If you're replacing, you'd might as well upgrade, yes?
          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
          1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
          1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

I got 98 Grand Marquis springs for I think $65 on ebay. They weren't really expensive. I think the seller's name was Stocklifts or something like that. 79-2002 springs fit, the 98-02 ones are a bit stiffer.

If you have all the tools, you can do the front end rebuild in a day, but if you're just changing springs its not a super major operation. An absolute must is a good quality spring compressor tho. Cheapies are dangerous. We had a Harbor Freight one snap. I got a nice KD compressor for $60 shipped to my door and it works far better.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

:woot: for frontend rebuild..

LTD is still here

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                What kind of springs are you installing? If you're replacing, you'd might as well upgrade, yes?
                i am upgradeing, but i am not sure what springs i am going to use yet

Comment

Originally posted by 1987LTDmasta
                  :woot: for frontend rebuild..
                  how much for the parts? not includeing the springs. (when i was asking about how much for parts i ment for the rest of the front end stuf lol.)

Comment

i've calcualted about $360, not including the brakes.

i havent gotten all the parts yet so the total is an approximation.
                    LTD is still here

Comment

dang that is alot of dough, well the front end parts are still really good, so i guess i will not be replaceing the old stuf just yet. but i will definately be changeing the springs lol.

Comment

Define really good. Have a good close look underneath at those lower control arm bushings. I wouldn't be too surprised if they're ovalled out and dryrotted by now if they're original, and nobody changes those things but us crazies.

Comment

Working...
                        X