underhood clean up????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

underhood clean up????

Detailing under the hood on the '91.... What is the best thing to use to make the aluminum parts under the hood look new again??? Mine are all oxidized.. really bad, since I am down here next to the Gulf of Mexico... Parts like the A/C compressor, etc.... they are looking like crap... also any ideas on restoring the upper plenum on my EFI??? It is the stock grey, but it is looking sad... maybe a coat of light grey high temp engine paint??? I want it to look stock, so no wild colors here.... I ordered all new decals for under the hood today... So before I put them in, i want to clean and paint the radiator support. the radiator, the inner upper part of the fenders... and then use the mothers back to black on the fan shroud, and inner fender wells... And then put the new decals in when they get here.....

The A/C decal
    The Airbag caution decal
    The Motorcraft parts decal
    The coolant system warning decal

And no.. no pictures!!!! GEEZ!!!!

Here's what it USED to look like under the hood... Want to get it looking like that again!....

Tom!!!!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

A good scrub should get the aluminum cleaned up. I'm not sure what you're referring to is oxidation- aluminum doesn't oxidize, last I checked...
    Where are you located?
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Aluminum does oxidize, just not to the degree that steel does. Aluminum oxidation is always just surface crap that discolors. I would use mothers, but I know that the stuff you are doing does not have a smooth surface, maybe a brillow pad and some spray 9 will work?

Comment

Okay. Aluminum does oxidize. Chalk it up as an excuse to get that shit polished!
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

I'll say scotchbrite for the funky alum parts, and/or maybe a small brass wire brush for more corroded parts. If you want them to look really nice, clean with some carb cleaner, and paint with some aluminum paint. For the upper intake, you might be able to just clearcoat it, but not sure.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well it is pointless today anyway... drizzling rain, and cold... at least too cold to paint anything and have it come out right! Tom!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
            Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

use some aluminum mag wheel polish for the last step... you will be pleased
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
              X