Amp Installation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp Installation questions

I helped out a friend the other night doing the strut mounts on his Taurus, and he gave me an amp. It's an older unit, but last I checked it still worked. It's a Pioneer GM-H120. I can't find any wiring diagrams for it online though. My only problem is the lack of a remote wire hookup. I don't see anywhere on this beast to hook up a remote wire. I'd rather not have the amp come on with a toggle switch if I can avoid it, as switches tend to clutter up the cabin. There is one hookup that I'm not sure what it's function is. It looks almost like a fan hookup on a computers mobo. I figure it was free, and I'm only going to be driving one sub, so why not. The only money that's invested will be in the wiring and that's reusable at some point usually, lol.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

The remote wire goes to the back of your aftermarket radio. It should be a blue/white 16ga wire. Otherwise, splice into any 12v accessory lead.

Comment

What I'm saying is there anyway to hook the amp up to the remote wire so that when the amp comes on when the radio comes on and goes off when the radio goes off? I remember reading somewhere that if I just wire it up, not using a remote wire, and I forget to hit the toggle switch to kill the amp before I shut the radio off, I'll fry something.

Comment

If you tie it into the power antenna lead on the stereo, it'll shut off with the stereo.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Evil LTD
          I don't see anywhere on this beast to hook up a remote wire. .

on the amp? it should be there... if its really old school it might be built into the wiring connector for it... that molex looking connector you saw.
          Do you see an RCA input on itl???
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Sorry 'bout the shitty pics, but the lighting in my room sucks, and my camera sucks, lol. Those are all the connectors on the amp.

Comment

thats wierd... i am confused as well. It would be a long shot but maybe there is a user manual online? i found some for my amps I got used.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You may be missing a piece such as a wiring harness or plug for the amp. I'll be on the lookout for a manual...

Comment

Those screw terminals look to be labled. Usually the remote terminal will say something like RMT or SIG or something like that.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

thats an old school amp. it might need a harnes for remote. the amp will not turn on with only power and ground. so you will not kill your battery
                    Attached Files

Comment

Chachi, there are no letters there unfortunately. I also looked for manuals and every site wants me to cough up $$$. I have determined that there is a plug for that. According to Pioneer, it is a 3 prong remote hookup. I found one site that sells the hookup, but it's probably NLA, and they want $36.xx for it. :geek2:

I've found no luck in locating pics of the amp or the plug. I wonder if I could take a molex connector, crimp the 3 cables together and then mate that up with the remote wire off my cd deck. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

if your good with a soldering iron, what i would do is remove the amps caseing and solder a wire to each pin. then install the amp. when it is all installed touch each wire one at a time to 12v. you will know you have the right wire when the amp turns on

Comment

And you'll know which isn't the one if the smoke starts to leak out

Check this out
                          http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...ad.php?t=43799
                          Last edited by gadget73; 02-22-2006, 08:41 PM.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                            And you'll know which isn't the one if the smoke starts to leak out

Check this out
                            http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...ad.php?t=43799

You kick ass! :headbang:

Thanks mang!

Comment

Working...
                            X