Stock tire pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock tire pressure

What is the correct tire pressure for stock replacement tires and rims or what do you recommend? Im running Futura Lte 205/70 r15's in the front and Uniroyal Tigerpaws with the same size in the rear. Pepboys fucked up and set the front tires to almost 45psi at first, but now I have them all set to 35psi. However the tires have been riding choppy, especially the fronts, and I have been getting bad gas mileage that can be attributed to that. Im confused because I ran all the tires at 35psi with no problems before, and I asked specifically for pepboys to do high speed balancing on all the tires.

There are no suspension problems, as I just had the shocks replaced along with the brakes. The rims are also in excellent shape with no rough spots either.
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

i usually run 35psi all around. but what the hell you doing with 205's on? you need some 225+
    1999 CVPI
    Old Rides
    1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

225's on a 15 inch car rim, damm and I though 235's were big on a 15 inch truck rim. I never had a problem with the futura pro-touring 205 r 15s (almost the same tires) that were on there before and that was the largest size I could afford for the front. It rode very smooth and my gas mileage was not affected at all.

Im stuck with these tires for 2 years at least since I can't afford to drop close to $375 again for new tires. I checked the back tires and they are actually 215 70 r 15's and I don't know if that makes a big difference.

Any way to maybe run different tire pressures for the fronts and backs? Or is this a balancing problem that pepboys fucked up?
      Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
      2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

215 is the stock width tire I think. 225 will fit with no problems on a stock wheel.

You can run different pressure, but not much point in it. There should be a sticker somewhere that has the reccomended pressure, which is 32 psi all around I think. 35 psi should be fine but you don't want to run a bunch more than that, as it will probably reduce the tread contact pattern. That means more fuel economy, but less traction and a harder ride.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Do you think that I might be able to exchange or upgrade to 215's in the front? I declined the warranty though, so I guess I might be screwed. I still can't believe pepboys didn't realize they were the wrong size tires, and inflated them to 45psi to avoid taking them off.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

I always look at the tire manufacturer's recomendations for pressure and load - my rear tires for example require 45psi, while the front ones get 35.

Comment

Thanks, I guess I'll try that then (running different psi's) if I can't replace the front tires. The roads are very bad in PA, so it probably won't make too much of a difference in ride quality if I run the 205's at probably 45psi.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

I run 235's at 32 PSI with no problems.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I'm actually going to bring my car back to pepboys next weekend because I specifically ordered 215's for the front after all, but they put 205's on it anyway. I should be all set then and I'll run them at 35psi also.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Originally posted by 87mefull
                    225's on a 15 inch car rim, damm and I though 235's were big on a 15 inch truck rim.
                    You know that 225/70/15 came stock on these cars right? In taxi and cop form.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

He would if he looked at the sticker on the pass. side rear wheel arch, for the pressure in the first place... :smirk:
                      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by BoxMan
                        He would if he looked at the sticker on the pass. side rear wheel arch, for the pressure in the first place... :smirk:

Well, yeah....

Comment

Maybe my car is different because its a coupe though and I checked but there were NO stickers for 225's anywhere on the car before I changed the tires. I actually DO CHECK for this because on my previous car (Eagle Talon), I made that same mistake before and ended up fucking up the alignment on that car. I also had no time to do extra research either because I got a flat tire on a sunday when I had to drive 80 miles back to school about 3 hours before pepboys closed. The spare tire was not up to that task and ironically enough was a michelin 215 also. Pep boys has 215's listed as the stock tire size in their computer, so I don't know why its wrong. I really hate going there but they are within 3 blocks of my house so I can't help it especially when I have a flat.

I had the rear tires replaced in december and it had 215's all around at that time though? This might explain why I am running smaller tires or why pepboys says I need 215's in the front. The backs are 215s because 215's were the largest size I could get for the stock rim in Uniroyal tiger paws (they are oversized agressive all season tires). Didn't have any problems with them either, got great gas mileage and it rode smooth too.

Pepboys will be replacing the fronts with 215s and ill be happy with that until I get out of college. It rode excellent and smooth with them and looks great too (ill post some pics when I get my camera fixed) on the stock rims even with a nice stance.

This is the last time I will ever deal with pep boys though, fucking morons aren't worth their sunday hours.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

I think the stickers are the same for all cars, but I've been wrong plenty of times. Yeah, pepboys sucks.

How long were you running the tires at 45psi? Theoretically, the higher pressure would improve milage. Could have f'd the tires up though. The belts could be broken, or the tread could be cut up.

Comment

Got 215's put on the front to match the tigerpaw 215's on the rear this weekend. Pepboys did it for free so I wasn't complaining, I was just glad to get rid of the shitty 205's they put on. I'm happy with them since they were cheap and very smooth up to around 80-85. I know I can do 85+ and it will be a little smoother with 225's, but I also don't need to try to set any land speed records with a box.

I asked them to show me why they recommended 215's on in the first place and they showed me what they had listed for my car. They had 205's actually listed as the standard size, 215's as the optional size, and 225's were listed as for Police Interceptors. Might be different listings for other sets of tires since these were Futura tires.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Working...
                              X