Rear gears and unit [1989 LTD CV]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear gears and unit [1989 LTD CV]

Yea, my clutched are dead shot. I left the darkest peg leg I'v ever seen. It's not like I didn't see it coming but I dropped 300 bux for some idiot to install them. Which they whine anyways.

How hard is it to install the the gears and trac loc into the rear? What exactly do you have to do? What tools do you need?

How do you rebuild the trac loc? Like the tear down of it all and reasembly with the new clutch packs.
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX.
    -3.73s' w/ Track Loc - KYB GR-2 Shocks All Around - TRW HD Cargo Coils Rear - Moog Front Coils - 1 Inch Rear Sway Bar - 4.6 Lower Air Box- Stock Headers - Off Road H Pipe - Turbo Mufflers.

4 Door Muscle
    Supermotors

I told you to rebuild the fucking traction lock...

But do you listen? Fuck No.

Like always... :nonono:
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I got the rebuild kit. I gambeled on the clutches. I don't even think the fucking asshole used the rebuild kit I gave him anways. So it wouldn't have made a difference. I wasted 300 for this guy to just throw it in sloppy.
      -3.73s' w/ Track Loc - KYB GR-2 Shocks All Around - TRW HD Cargo Coils Rear - Moog Front Coils - 1 Inch Rear Sway Bar - 4.6 Lower Air Box- Stock Headers - Off Road H Pipe - Turbo Mufflers.

4 Door Muscle
      Supermotors

Comment

Shoulda taken it to scott.

But again, noone ever listens to me...
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yea. But this guy was down the road. I don't have time to drive down the PA.

Now. What tools do you need for the gears. Anything special? What's a breif run down of what you have to do to install them?

4 Door Muscle
          Supermotors

Comment

make time if you want quality work

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
              Shoulda taken it to scott.

But again, noone ever listens to me...
              Or me :nonono:

the time and money you might have saved doing it locally last time will be spent, and then some, on this next shot at it...

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I'm sure it's in right so. I'm just mad causr the guy was gay and I thin negative. I just need new clutches. I can do that myself. I'm told you don't even have to mess with any thing that's already set up to where it needs to be. Is that correct?

4 Door Muscle
                Supermotors

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHawkA4
                  I'm sure it's in right so. I'm just mad causr the guy was gay and I thin negative. I just need new clutches. I can do that myself. I'm told you don't even have to mess with any thing that's already set up to where it needs to be. Is that correct?
                  Yeah, just have to pull the C-clips, slide the axles out a little, then fight to get the clutches and steels in. Then you get to put the S-spring back in.
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I'm so glad I will never have to mess with that.

Comment

Yea well we don't all have 400 dollars to drop on a rear unit. Take a 0 off and that's what I payed for mine.

Does anyone have a picture of where the cluthces are and everything. I'm not to familiar with rears except for looking at them when they came in the mail.

4 Door Muscle
                      Supermotors

Comment

The clutches are underneath the side gears (side gears are the ones the axles go though) Sorry, I don't have a pic of the one I had anymore.

Comment

Now I could do a rear disk brake sway when replacing the cluthces couldn't I?

4 Door Muscle
                          Supermotors

Comment

To do the rear disk upgrade requires you to just slide the axles out the rest of the way. Then you have to do the swaps on each end of the axel. There is tons of info on this in the tech area.

Comment

Well as long as I can do it when I go to do my cluthces in the rear without fucking up the position and setting of the gears and such, I can go head and figure out how to do the swap.

If I got the front disk brakes off an aero vic, would the work on the rear of my car or what?

4 Door Muscle
                              Supermotors

Comment

Working...
                              X