Gutting my cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutting my cats

Ok I think I'm ready to do this. I gutted the cat (only had one) on my old s-10 but I left it on the truck. All I did was cut a 2" square in it and took a screwdriver to it. Once I got all the major chunks out I started it us and reved it up alot and blew the rest out. Then I welded the square back on

Now with my vic I cannot leave them on cause of the 2 cats really close to the manifolds and I don't have access to a welder anymore. So If I take off the h-pipe and pull it out that way. Then I would take like a broom stick and ram it in there and break it all up. Will this work and is there anything that would work better then a broom stick?

I have a Xcal 2 so I can shut off my rear o2's.

Thanks
    Zack
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Yeah, use like a horseshow stake, or other type of metal object..
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Ok thanks.

Comment

let me know what the difference is, btw you need to buy eliminators to trick the eec into thinking those missing cats are actually working, or use a SCT calibrator to turn the rear o2 sensors off.

Comment

I will be sure to let you know. I found of rock auto the manifold flange gasket but I can't find the gasket that connects the end of the H-pipe to the tailpipes. You know the part number?

Comment

What to use to gut the cats now?

Ok I was just poking around and stupid me, I was thinking it was a straight shot to the cats with no bends. Boy was I wrong, I don't know why I was thinking that. So now I'm fucked and have to leave me cats on or what can I use to gut them that will snake around the bends? It isn't a serious bend in them but enough that a straight metal rod won't go it there.

Comment

Remove cats, get a custom pipe bent with flanges on it from manifold to h pipe. I did it once, worked.

Comment

Good idea I will have to do that then.

Comment

you may have to have o2 sensor bungs welded on the new pipe for the front (important) , I forgot exactly where they are on the exhaust, I know the rear ones are after the cats, but cant remember where the front ones are, but Im sure they would have to be re installed in the new pipes. You could switch the front 02s to the holes for the rear ones,(use junkyard harness and old o2 wiring to make an extension) install eliminators on the rears, then hang em somewhere underneath. Possibly, sounds like an idea.

Comment

If you have visual inspection, you can take and weld the heat shields on the pipe, and fool most mechanics doing a quick inspection. My friend does that with his CRX, 5 years and not one comment on inspection.

Also, any auto parts store sells O2 bosses for like $5 a pop.

Comment

I punched mine out no problem and have the same 4 cats. I used an old steering shaft.
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

So you are saying it is possible to get a straight rod in there?

Comment

i think thoes O2 sensors are in front of the cat... so you might be okay and i have no idea why in front of as opposed to behind, amased they do anything

Comment

They are both in front and behind the cat. The ones after the cat are just to make sure the cats are working and throw on the CEL if they are not, which is why they (the back ones) need to be disabled when removing the cats..

Pant(her)-lessŪ :nonono:
                            Save the Whales -- Harpoon a Honda.
                            There are three ways to get something done:
                            (1) Do it yourself.
                            (2) Hire someone to do it for you.
                            (3) Forbid your kids to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by DANARCHY
                              i think thoes O2 sensors are in front of the cat... so you might be okay and i have no idea why in front of as opposed to behind, amased they do anything
                              The ones in front are very important, as they tell the computer what the air-fuel ratio is in conjunction with the maf sensor. With out them you will have a very shitty running car, but the rear ones, you CAN live with out, if using the o2 eliminators.

Comment

Working...
                              X