Another newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another newbie

Salutations to everybody! I decided that this was a good forum to join on the basis of owning my own big bodied car. It seemed there was alot of good information available here. I own an '87 Lincoln Town Car Sig Series in good condition, not as nice as some I've seen here. It has 109k on clock and a few broken gadgets (dead A/C, trunk pull down issues, etc.), but it drives perfect. I'm in love with the car and have visions of building a twin turbo H.O. motor for it. Any ideas or information that might be helpfull would be vastly appreciated.

Welcome!

Apparently 87 was a rare year for towncars...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Welcome. Get us some pics of the townie!
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

to GMN!!! The Town Car is a great car. I use to own an '89 TC.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
        5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

to GMN!
          -Michael

Comment

Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Welcome, always good to see another TC owner!!!
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I'd recommend doing the HO swap long before you plan for the TT upgrade. It's not THAT costly or involved ( :lies: ) and it would be a good idea to have the motor in so you can troubleshoot all the problems people have with HO conversions before you try to throw TTs into the equation.

Also, it's good to have the base engine set up, then upgrade from there. That's why my HO swap isn't any big deal... I didn't use any real performance parts, I don't think. I'll start real upgrades once I have the motor in and everything's checked out to be okay.
                2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Welcome!!
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

im still in the planning stages for now, but i was planning on buying a busted H.O. and rebuilding it with parts that could handle boost then doing a swap as fast as possible(this is my only car so ill be wearing my walk'n shoes to work). after i have the engine in is when i planned on doing the external mods and drivetrain upgrades. which leads me to ask, does anyone have any idea just how broke this will make me(im using as many free & boneyard parts i can find including the turbos) or just how much is really involved (I was told an H.O. would bolt right up like a stock motor but its starting to sound like that may not be true)?

sorry, i dont have a digicam
                    edit: actually it my tc looks damn near identical to lincolnmania's tc (i have the standard wheels)

i was not aware of them being a rare year, yet now that you mention it i don't think i see very many of them. plenty of 85's & 88's.
                    Last edited by Pickles; 02-27-2006, 07:19 PM.

Comment

The HO will basically bolt right up, but you'll need to use some of your engine's parts, like the fuel rails, EGR spacer, accessory brackets, etc... it's not that complicated if you have the balls to get in there and get it done.

The real complications come when you get one of the Explorer motors (they're SO much cooler! [then, again, the 1987-1993 Mustangs had forged pistons and can handle a single turbo quite well in stock configuration...) because you need to swap a lot more for things to fit.

Blah, blah, blah...

Good luck! Ask all the questions you need, but please use the SEARCH button first. Most things can be easily found with a little digging.
                      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

welcome! You will find everything you need to know here
                        'xcept maybe turbo aplication stuff... I dont know of any turbo box's yet
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

you will soon

Comment

Yeah, I'm looking into it as well.

Oh, and welcome. Always needing more TC owners here.
                            Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

mmm, more tc is better
                              jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Working...
                              X