Need Shock Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Shock Advice

The shocks in my '89 GM are actually still the stock shocks, and my need for new ones is obviously getting desperate. I can go to Monro or any other shop and get some generic shocks, but I don't want my ride to stiffen up too much. I'm not into racing or anything; I'm looking for shocks that will keep that "floaty" feeling that I have come to love, rather than improve my handling (I just came off a suspended license; I'm not looking to get a fast car and go through that again). All of my searching on the internet has turned up "performance" shocks centered on handling, but I'd really prefer a soft ride to the ability to take corners at breakneck speeds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    89 Grand Marquis LS with 107K miles (as of 1/13/07). As proof of my undying love, I've invested:
    - New exhaust
    - Front brakes
    - Rebuilt tranny
    - New vinyl top
    - Alternator & Battery
    - And still going.

I strongly reccoment the KYB GR-2s for a police car.

You can get these at advance auto parts, and they are around 25 a peice.

They are a little firm, but good for the price.

Edelbrock IAS or Bilstein shocks are if you really want to spend, they are almost 400 for a set...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
      I strongly reccoment the KYB GR-2s for a police car.

You can get these at advance auto parts, and they are around 25 a peice.

They are a little firm, but good for the price.

Edelbrock IAS or Bilstein shocks are if you really want to spend, they are almost 400 for a set...

Those are deffinatly not comfort shocks, and besides you can get Bilsteins or Carreras for $300, if you know where to look.
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

You can also get QA1s for about the same.

Comment

The GR-2 for a standard civilian model aren't as stiff as the police/limo ones. I have them on my car and it was still soft with the stock springs.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

kyb gr2 shocks for the police vics are awesome........my townie has the oe springs which have sagged a bit and the ride and handling is incredible........ask anyone that has ridden in or driven my townie
            scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It's true
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Actually, I have Monroe Sensatracs in the front of my Vic now, and the really are pretty damn good. As a matter of fact, I will be pulling them out to go with the QA1 s and some stiff ass springs, so they will be up for sale since they have a lifetime warranty.

Comment

Fuck those sensatracs.
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I don't see a problem with them at all, they work good, and the ride is really nice.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the input, guys! I think I'll just take it to Monro for now; if I don't like 'em, I can always change 'em out later. Thanks again!
                      89 Grand Marquis LS with 107K miles (as of 1/13/07). As proof of my undying love, I've invested:
                      - New exhaust
                      - Front brakes
                      - Rebuilt tranny
                      - New vinyl top
                      - Alternator & Battery
                      - And still going.

Comment

dont waste your money on monroe or gabriel........advance can get kyb's for cheaper and they are better shocks than sensatracks.......they are crap, they dont last for shit, went thru 2 sets of those on my townie

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Don't get IAS's if you want a smooth ride. I have them just in the rear and it makes mine ride like a truck. I have sensatracs in the front which are only 7 mos old and I think they're wearing out already. Smooth but sloppy ride in the front. I'll be swapping all 4 out for some hpp spec shocks this summer I hope.
                          1995 Grand Marquis LS, digi dash, loaded
                          124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

Comment

Mybe I just got a lucky set then, my sensitracs have been on the Vic for about 6 years now. Still work good. Either way I am gettin rid of them se it doesn't matter to me anymore

Comment

Sensatracs on my stang started leaking in less than a year. The gabriels lasted longer and were 1/4 the cost...

I'd recommend KYB's or Tokicos
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                              X