low RPM shudder, clunky overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low RPM shudder, clunky overdrive

I just did the full HO conversion on my 89 Lincoln with 63K. Now when its at low RPM's there is little to no power and the whole car shakes in a rhythmic pattern until RPM's rise. Also when I'm braking and the car shifts out of overdrive it clunks noticably. Ran smooth as glass before the HO conversion, whats up?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Mine does the OD ker-chunk too. Its done this with 2 transmissions, one from an 86 LSC, the new one was a full overhaul with the HO governer. It seems to be a feature. Mine used to be really bad, and I suspected it was a busted trans mount. Turns out the metal piece that slips under the bolt head on the trans crossmember had rotted away and the whole trans crossmember was picking up off the bolt head and slamming around. The trans was actually banging the floorboard.

The lack of low rpm power is a symptom of the HO cam. They have crap low end torque, unfortunately. Its more of a screamer cam than a torquer. Bump the TV pressure to let the gears wind out some more before shifting and it'll help with that.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
    X