Looking to buy a 4.6L car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy a 4.6L car.

My little brother is currently looking for a new used car. He has been driving the family's '94 Explorer Limited 4x4, but it has suspension and fuel system related issues and doesn't run well. I want to keep him in the Ford family. I also want to keep him away from the Import cars like my other brother drive (He owns an Infiniti J30. It's a nice, little luxury RWD car with the naturally aspirated Nissan 300Z motor. Before the J30, he had a "No Torque" '97 Mitsubishi Gallant. I drove it a few times and hated it. You have to rev the shit out of those cars to make them move).

I have only owned 5.0L panther cars. I don't know a thing about the 4.6L cars. The 5.0L cars are not easy to find anymore. (There's a black '88-'91 5.0L GM on a used car lot around the corner, but their asking way too much for it). I do see 4.6L Panthers for sale all the time. Other than the real obvious issues with a used car like major body damage and dripping fluids, What should I lookout for when purchasing a 4.6L Panther? My brother needs a trouble-free car in good condition. I want to help him find it and if everything works out, we'll have a "new" used panther owner out there and a new member for the forums.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

If you are looking at a 96-01 they have the infamous all plastic intake manifold. It might have been replaced just look for a aluminum crossover. Other then that there is nothing that really comes to mind that you wouldn't check out for any other car.
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

The only other thing is 97 and older have valve seal issues and burn oil. If I had my druthers Id get a 01 cause of the pi parts
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

actually it is only the 92-95 that have the valve seal issues and end up burning oil. i would make sure to get a 96+.

96-01 does have the plastic intake manifold, which is known to crack and the coolant crossover and leak coolant.

if you look though, you should be able to find a 96+ that already has the modified manifold with the aluminum coolant crossover.
        2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

The aluminum crossover was introduced in 2003.
          -Michael

Comment

Is the "valve seal" issue a common problem on the '92-'95 cars? I have noticed a lot of '92-'97 cars for sale on used car lots.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
            5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Is the "valve seal" issue a common problem on the '92-'95 cars?
              Yes it is.
              -Michael

Comment

T-vic are you sure? I could've sworn the aluminum crossover was standard in the 02 model. Or maybe it was 02's made later on in the year.
                2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

this guy i used to work with had an '02 and it had the aluminum crossover. didnt ask if he did it after buying. hell who knows, maybe he insisted on it with the dealer before he bought.

as for the valve seal issue, it is only 92-95 that has the problem.

96-97 did not have the valve seal problem. there are alot of them on sale though. maybe because the body style changed in 98. also the 98+ has better braking power.
                  Last edited by BigTomZ; 03-05-2006, 06:19 PM.
                  2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

T-vic are you sure?
                    Pretty sure. It may have been a mid year thing though.

Linky...
                    -Michael

Comment

Get a 95+ if possible 98-02 better but more $$

91-92.5 4.6 have the bastard block with the AOD

92 in general lots of one year only parts for CV/Marq 91-92 for TC

93-94 are better and have AODE but still lots of stuff no swappy for 95+

95 has the new style dash and interior but the aluminum intake and the EEC V 95 is the pinnicle of maximum "Content" from there on "Decontenting" commences.

Price/Condition is more of a concern, at the least avoid a bastard block 4.6.

The biggest plus for the 4.6 panther is the cheap avail of great low mile used motors/ Trans from late model wrecks 03 - 05 etc... As long as the body and chassis is in good shape, you can theoretically drive these cars for 3 million miles. Even the 93 AODE cars can run a 06 engine/Trans with some sensor rewiring/swapping.

With the Bastard block cars, you are stuck with a 91-92.5 engine casting and the AOD trans. Short of major re-wiring you can't run the new computer controlled trans etc..
                      2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                      2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Theres is no 91 with a 4.6...

Is there?
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                          Theres is no 91 with a 4.6...

Is there?
                          Yes, there is.

1991 Town Car has the 4.6
                          -Michael

Comment

Originally posted by texasvic
                            Yes, there is.

Shit, good point!
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by texasvic
                              Yes, there is.

I seed one of thems in the boneyard last summer!!
                              2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                              2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Working...
                              X