Tranny Swap on the ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny Swap on the ground

Ok I know some on here have done this. I have been thinking about swapping out the turd that is called my tranny. I have questions on how to do this swap on your back. I have an idea how to get it out with the bolts and unplugging everything but how do you actually drop is without smashing your hand? I see my Haynes manual says that you support it with jack but never really says how to drop it out and to lift it back up to connect it back up.

So how do you go about doing that? Also It says to support the engine with a jack. It says to use a block of wood on top of the jack to spread the load and to place it under the oil pan. Well I don't feel to comfortable doing that cause being a 4.6 it has a plastic oil pan and I'm afraid that it will crack.

I'm really thinking I should do this swap cause I am more then certain that is where I'm loosing all my HP. It lets the engine wrap up so damn high and has no torque in the standard 4.6 torque curve. The tranny has always been sloppy and the OD band is pretty much shot. If I could swap it out for a used tranny (low mileage) this summer. I am going to go to tech school in a year so I need a dependable car cause when I'm in college I don't want any major repairs to do. The tranny is the only thing I forsee giving me problems.

Sorry for the long post. Just this will be the biggest thing I have done on a car since I'm a novice and self taught (Dad is not gearhead).

Zack
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Need to J-Mod the new trans...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

removing tranny on ground= sore neck, bloody knuckles, and lots of swearing. Not for me, Ill use a lift.

Comment

Yea you'd probably have to use some sort of jack setup. I breifly saw someone pulling a tranny on the gound a few years back but to tell you the truth I have no idea how they did it. good luck with it mang.
        Nick
        88 Colony Park LS
        G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
        Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Ya Johnny I would use a lift if I had access to one but that isn't the case. I know blaze and ltdmasta have done it.

Comment

Yeah when I did mine it was a bitch. I jacked my car up as high as I safely could. I put a jack with a piece of wood under my oil pan to prevent the pan from crushing. Stick another good hydraulic jack under your trans pan with another piece of wood to get some even support. First I loosend all the bellhousing bolts while it was good and sturdy. Then take out the crossmember and trans mount, unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate. And pop out the bellhousing bolts. Then get a good buddy whos pretty strong (I had my pops help me) to help hold the trans on the jack. It takes alot of wiggling until you can slide it off the motor. Once its free hold it on the jack and have your pal slowly lower the jack on the ground. My stands werent high enough to slide out the trans on the jack so I pushed it off the jack and slid the trans out on the floor.

Hard part is putting it back in, I had to put the trans on the jack while under the car. Get a wrench on the balancer to line up the holes on the flex plate and the torque converter studs. Slowly jack it up and position it so you toque converter slides in the flexplate. Start threading in some of the bellhousing bolts and pt in the tranny mount and crossmember. Put in the torque converter nuts and tighten everything up. I'm sure its 100x more difficult on a 4.6. Take off the exhaust too. Its a real bitch but I'm sure you can get it done. Just be carefull not to let the trans fall like 2ft onto you arm or something.

Make sure you do the J-mod!!!!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
            My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Ok that is what I was looking for. Ya this is going to suck but I want to do it.

Comment

I swap em all the time. I have special adapter plate Ive made for my floorjack though. Fits the pan about perfect. They arent that bad to swap out. Just make sure you put all the wire back where they go and and use a good socket on the torque converter nuts. And Im sure youll wont be doing it in the dirt. IM and ill help ya more. Im lazy tonight.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Your pan should be metal. I just drop it on my chest and wiggle out, kinda sux but ya do what ya gotta do.
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

If you have access to a transmission jack it makes it a ton better. Getting them out is a piece of cake. Just support the pan, give a solid yank, and it'll come off the motor if everything is disconnected. Getting it lined back uo for re-assembly is the bitch part.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You can get an adapter plate for your floor jack at AutoZone for ~$30. That's what I did and it made it SO much easier (except when it was attempting to hook on th exhaust pipes).

Then, again, we stabbed the T5 yesterday- had the transmission under the car and bolted up in five minutes. I say skip another 4R70W and get a Tremec 3550 out of a Mustang. It's not that hard of a swap at all.
                      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Sweet. I will have to look up the adapter plate. P71towny the oil pans are metal? Mine is black and the outside coating is like plastic.

Comment

Mine is metal, and is every one ive seen.

Comment

Also I forgot to add do those adapter plates fit any floorjack?

Comment

You need one that you can pull the pad off. I think it'll fit any that the pad comes off of. Usually it just has like a post that sits through the hole in the top of the jack in place of the standard pad. Check the diameter of the hole in your jack vs the post size on the adapter.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X