03 and up front end swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

03 and up front end swap

03 and up front end swapI am going to look into this pretty big here. 2 reasons;

1: rack and pinion steering
    2: 13" front brakes, note that these brakes are interchangable with Mustang Cobra rotors, talk about your options being opened up! It is also possable that the calipers are also swapable.

Any details will be greatly appreciated.

Have fun with your flat wheels...
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Ive heard the calipers are swappable on to the pre 03 cars.
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

It's easy, just go get a complete 03+ chassis.....and put the box body on it.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Have fun with that one. My dads rack and pinion makes it really messy to change the oil filter. You will have to get rid of those pimp wheels too.
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Well, that's nice and all, but not much help. I know the current wheels will be going. Why would I have flat wheels, what makes you think I would be going with a stock wheel/tire setup? Rack and pinion is far superior.

Are the controle arms mounted in different locations than the 02 back are? I would imagine so as the suspension was redone, but might not be. Any technical input, or just moronic persecution for wanting to get the best possable suspension on a box Vic?

Comment

The WHOLE front subframe set is waaaay different. There is a huge aluminum crossmember, the control arms are completely different. That assembly might be able to be swapped, but I have no clue about how much different the actual frame is, and if the old engine cradle is still there.

I have only seen pics, never actually been under the car. But from what I have seen, A LOT of stuff is different.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yeah, the entire front of the frame from the doors forward is different. Its a really impressive setup. If you have the chance sometime, jsut get under one and look. To be flat honest, you'd really likely be better off doing an entire frame swap than trying to attach the front section of the frame to your car. It would also allow for the better rear suspension setup.

You'd have those flat wheels because of the offset the new spindles have. If you use a wheel with any dish, it'll stick out like some ricer car and look really retarded. You can go with a new Mustang wheel but if you look at those, they're also flat. The rear axles are a little wider too so the front and rear wheels are identical. Rear discs are also vented on an 03+ instead of the solids the 92-02 have. Rear suspension is totally different. Not sure what you'd do with the back in order to have matching wheels. Either big spacers, an 03+ rear suspension to use the 03+ axle housing, or try and mod an 03 axle to take old school 4 arm suspension like we have.

Another concern might be the steering shaft routing, but likely if it'll clear a 4.6 a 5.0 won't have problems. Possible exhaust clearance issues tho but not sure on that.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey blaze,

You need pics of any of this stuff. I would be more then happy to crawl under my dads merc and snap some pics of the suspention if you need it.

Comment

That would be awesome! I may be looking at one next time I go to the dealer, but that is at least 2 weeks away.

Comment

we studied nates marauder extensively.......better off swapping to an 03+ frame

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Hey blaze are you still interested in this? I have been working all week but I can take pics this weekend if you want.

Comment

Sure, I'm working likw a dog this weekend, so I can't do much. I just got home from working 13 hours strait on a room over garage addition, mostly stripping the roof, and framing the new walls and roof. Same plan tomorrow.

Comment

Ok I will take some pics tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Im gonna be an ass and reopen this 8 years later.....

This topic was swapping a pre 02 suspension for the newer rack and pinion. It quickly morphed into 'just swap the frame.' I have a 88 Lincoln that some drunk as lady hit me in and diamonded my frame. I want to see if I can just swap the old frame to a newer one. I understand the difficulties that might arise but I live for this shit! Lol -also I've hard this car since I was 16, so it won't be replaced-

Anybody have some ideas on this? Is there a particular model from 03-11 that would fit me best? Vic, merc, Lincoln? Which frame would fit my wheelbase and which handles better? I'd also like to integrate the inside luxuarys to fit my 88, if that changes the model preference.

If this turns into " they suck find another old frame " or "it's been tried before and you'll hate your life" they ill take the easy way out. However it there's a 1% chance this will be the shit,...then I'm in!

Comment

Working...
                              X