alignment problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alignment problems

The front passenger side tire is 1 1/2 inches closer to the back of the fender compared to the driver side front tire. The driver's side tire is straight and the passenger side tire is off. When you raise the car, the passenger side tire seems to straighten out a bit. When you lower the car and there's pressure on the tire, it turns back. It didn't look like anything was bent and all the joints were tight.

1. Should an alignment fix this?

2. Does it matter what tires are on the car when an alignment is done? Should I put the all-seasons (that will be the regular running tires) on or can I leave the snow tires on for the alignment?

Driver side:

Passenger side:

When lowered:
    Last edited by monterey1962; 03-06-2006, 07:19 PM.

Alignment might help, but there is prolly something else wrong, bushings maybe, but there is a good chance the frame is tweaked.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Frame tweak or twisted control arm. That doesn't sound good at all. I'd get under there with a straight edge and compare the control arms side to side to see if one is messed up or if you can see visible evidence that the frame may have tweaked over.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I should clarify. When I say the wheel was "destroyed", I mean that it was busted beyond use. In this case, it seem as though someone nailed the curb with it. I'll get pics of the rim tomorrow. I don't think the frame is harmed. There's no damage elsewhere on the car. I just might run over to the yard and get a whole new unit with the control arms and spindle and be done with it. I went over the CV pretty good today and will again tomorrow if time allows. I'll let you guys know what I find.

Comment

It might have just trashed the bushings. Take a flashlight and look at the lower control arm bushings, especially the back one, ideally with weight on the car. If its really egged out you'll see it.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks. I'll do that tomorrow.

Comment

the lower control arms are made to give during an impact like that, to save damage to the frame and anything else. I nailed a curb with the '77 and thought I had messed things up pretty bad, but a replacement lower arm was all it needed.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Called the local yard. Can get the upper, lower, and spindle for $100. Their gonna pull it for me and I'll try and get it later today. If it looks like I only need the lower, then it'll only be $35.

Comment

$100 later:

Also rented a spring compressor. Should get to it tomorrow.

Comment

Fuck me. Maybe I didn't need to be doing all this shit. The car is in pieces and during the tear-down I found that the adjusters on the upper control arm were cranked back. Lower control didn't look too bad when I got it out, but the bushings looked like they were turned back a little. Can't get the fucking spring in and I have to go to work.

Setting on upper arm:

Comment

Thats the camber adjustment. It would make the top of the wheel kick outward, not move the whole thing rearward. There is minimal caster adjustment on a box. Essentially what adjustment there is comes from twisting the upper control arm, and it doesn't really go too far.

Comment

Oh, that's right. I'll just set it back where it was and cross my fingers that the tire is where it should be when I'm done. I have a bad feeling. Although, when it was apart, I looked over the frame and mounts and nothing seemed cracked or bent.

Comment

Before:

After the different parts installed:

Comment

looks better - did she line up?
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Passenger side tire is still back a little bit. I'd say 3/4 of an inch difference. The car drives good now. A little pull to the left, but not much. Going in next week to check it out for sure and get an alignment.

Comment

Working...
                              X