replacing rear brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing rear brakes

The '89 CV needs new pads on the rear. Does anyone have a walk-through on how to do it? Can't be too difficult. Although, one drum is stuck on. Is any adjustment needed when new pads are put on? I'll get the drums turned, too.

You'll need some specialty drum brake tools, but they pay for themselves after the 1st time in DIY savings. There is an adjuster in there you will have to fool with, any manual should have the basic rundown of it, its mostly a matter of putting things back the way they came out. Lots of little springs and things to put on backwards by accident.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

What special tool? I've never used any special tools to do my rear brakes, not saying that some special tools wouldn't be worth it, but what are you talking about Pete?

Comment

Probably a brake spoon, used to adjust the pre-tension on the brakes.
        Nick
        88 Colony Park LS
        G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
        Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon
          Probably a brake spoon, used to adjust the pre-tension on the brakes.
          Yeah spoon= flat blade screwdriver.

A spring tool is nice, and the tool to remove the shoe retaining springs are nice. Not needed though. Vise grips and screwdrivers get it done.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Damnit, you guys posted that while I was out running for parts. I got a tool for $10.

Comment

The tools makes it much easier....

Comment

The only one I really like to have on hand is the retainer spring tool. The others I make do with pliers and screwdrivers but getting those retainer clips out is a pain in the ass. If in doubt, take a picture first. A manual of some flavor is also a great idea as it'll have pictures and stuff. Its really not hard, just messy and annoying.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The hold down and return spring tools aren't necessary unless your getting paid to do drum brakes I guess, but it sure saves time and the hassle of fumbling/droppling/slipping out of place of the many springs and pins to be put back together.
                  I learned using the drum tools and I coulnt imagine doing a set without them. Spending $20 now will save hours of time on future brake jobs.

Ill say the same thing I told to Petely 'over there' - Ill challenge anyone to a drum brake race, me w/tools and anyone else with screwdrivers/pliers anyday bring it!
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I had 4 wheel drums on the Bug. non-adjusting with 2 star wheels per wheel. I hate drum brakes.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                      The hold down and return spring tools aren't necessary unless your getting paid to do drum brakes I guess, but it sure saves time and the hassle of fumbling/droppling/slipping out of place of the many springs and pins to be put back together.
                      I learned using the drum tools and I coulnt imagine doing a set without them. Spending $20 now will save hours of time on future brake jobs.

Ill say the same thing I told to Petely 'over there' - Ill challenge anyone to a drum brake race, me w/tools and anyone else with screwdrivers/pliers anyday bring it!
                      Ok, you do your car, ill do mine.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I can't wait to get the rear discs on....No more drums.

Comment

Working...
                        X