92+ rear end swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92+ rear end swap

I keep thinking about this low mile cherry condition (minding the front end damage) 92 vic in the junkyard, and wondering why I havent pulled out the rear end to swap into the box.
    The gear ratio is the same, but a 40K rear end, disc brakes and a possible aluminum driveshaft in one swoop sounds good to me. Recent motivation has come with the arrival of a shiney new 40 ton shop press at work, just waiting to be broken in. Ultimately I hope to use this press for a complete suspention rebiuld while I can.

I have a few questions and things to iron out before I attempt this, some info and details I need to work out...

first - if the driveshaft on this 92 is not a winner, will I need to swap the pinion yoke on the donor unit to mate to my driveshaft? Assuming that requires pulling the gears out, Id rather just pull the axles and do the backing plate swap to get rear disks.

second - do the rear disks have to be plumbed with the rubber lines or can they be rigged to work with only steel lines in a close to original way? If not, I could use some hints on the new plumbing to both rubber lines. Will I need to buy 92+ rear junction blocks or anything special along with the hoses?

third - anyone know if we have poly options for rear bushings? I want to do all 8 trailing arm bushings too while Im there... plus any tips on this major feat would be well appreciated! Im under the impression its a straitforward press-out press-in procedure... if you can get the bolts out.

I hope to make these plans a reality in the next couple months...
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

I too am about to rebuild my rear suspension, so poly bushing numbers would be greatly appreciated. And if you happen to know the front lower poly bushing numbers as well. that would be great...

Comment

The driveshaft to axle flange should be the same for both the box and the aero.
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

:bump:

Comment

Pete, send a PM to Black & Flames on CVN. He's running a '93 rear end in his '89.
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

sorry guys seem i have been missing this post......i will answer all to the best i can......come to skippyville some weekend for a seminar lol
            pete the 92 rear will bolt in place.......use the box chasis rear bar
            as for the brake hoses......make brackets to mount the 92 outer hoses and connect those to the single rear brake hose, or run new brakelines, one up each side of the frame......either way both lines are just being split in two form the prop valve.......the first method is alot easier
            pi and towing pcg cars have a larger rear flange pete.
            rear bushings are available for 92-97 from energy suspension, i believe these will work, as the control arms are the same on ours
            the front bushings are also available johnnie.......92-97 set .....there is no set of just the lower front bushings......look at the bushings on your lower arms......two different sized bushings onn each lower arm is the 92-97 civi kit........you may be able to use the upper bushings in the 86 upper arms....i am not sure ........sorry for the delay.......next time just i'm me lol i hate to keep my mangs in suspense
            scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I went to the yard yesterday - they want TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS for any disk brake rear end!!!! Yowza. I tried to get just the aluminum pumpkin cover off it, but they made me put it back on it, lol 'Now I cant sell that rearend' they said. I guess that makes sense... I guess that means I cant nab just the backing plates and disc assemblie off of it either... Ill double check.

GOOD thing is, they told me the 98 cvp71 is soon to be parted out (in the 'dont touch' section for now) and he quoted me $15 for each 16" steelie and $90 for both spindles, hubs, and all the brake parts I nabbed some '92 upper A-arms while I was there. They came off the same 50K vic I want this rear out of, and the bushings look good as new.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Damn Pete, come to Florida, i can get an entire rear end, minus calipers and rotors for something like $50

Comment

Well, I run greasable PI solid upper controle arms, so I need no bushings there. But thanks for the info mang!

Comment

Update: I just placed an order with Jegs. They actually had a set of front and rear Energy Suspension bushings listed for our box panthers. They mistakenly put the Grand Marq as a Lincoln, but oh well.

I will update on my install to let you all know that they are correct. For now here are the links.

EDIT, Dumbass mistake....
                    Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 03-14-2006, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I've got a question. Is the 92+ rear axle assembly any wider then the 79-91?

Comment

It shouldn't be. Uses the same offset wheels, control arms, and axles.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So when did they widen the rears? In 98?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordman75
                            So when did they widen the rears? In 98?
                            2003 got the radically different width axels, hence the flat wheels they use. 98's MIGHT have a slightly different axle width. Maybe Zwack or another with a 98-02 could measure their axle width, flange to flange.

Comment

Ya I can measure my axle if you want me too.
                              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Working...
                              X